The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Stereotyping?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/stereotyping-31934/)

smrobs 07-19-2009 04:06 AM

Stereotyping??

Have either you or your horse ever been stereotyped?

People assume all the time that I rodeo and run barrels. Apparently all girls from Texas with blond hair who ride western are supposed to run barrels??? I didn't know that.

I also get all the time that I "can't possibly be riding good horses" when I tell people that I have Mustangs. I had a friend actually tell me "I can't believe someone like you would ride a piece of crap horse like a mustang." That comment really made me mad because it came from the same guy that has worked for over a year just trying to teach his horse to neck rein:shock:.

Anyway, in what way have you and yours been stereotyped??

Shalani 07-19-2009 04:55 AM

I get annoyed when people stereotype arabians as all Spooky and ditzy.
MY 7yr old daughter is learning to ride on a pure bred arabian mare that I have owned for almost 5 yrs and my mare couldnt be any more relaxed or she would be asleep lol

on a different topic . I am a bouncer, I work in pubs and clubs & because im not a huge scary looking man I cop alot of crap off drunk men in particular. Which is annoying but an advantage they underestimate me :-) until I have them in a lock and drag them out.:wink:

HollyBubbles 07-19-2009 05:15 AM

Just because people consider me to be pretty, and i care about the way i look, they think im stupid aswell, when really im top of all of my 7 classes (except social studies which i don't particularly enjoy anyway)

And when i tell them i ride horses and race ministocks they look at me as if to say "do you think im an idiot, you couldnt ride or race."

And when i say, i don't have a riding instructor and have only been riding for one year, they ALL automatically assume that i can't ride to save my life, and that my horse must be in terrible condition.

Well, does this look like i can't ride to save my life, does my horse (23yrs tb mare) look to be in terrible condition? I think not :P

http://i4.bebo.com/049a/14/mediuml/2...15272117ml.jpg

I pride myself to the fact that i teach myself, and bubbles is very pushy, so its funny to see the people that have stereotyped me, get on her and not be able to control her, when i get on she's absoulutely fine lol...

P.s, I LOVE Mustangs :-D
and my mum (who hasn't ridden for 20 odd years) has an arab mare (so called "dangerous" combination of mare AND Arab?). Spooky or ditzy?!? Why yes, starting a motorbike in front of her without seeing the remotest sign of a flinch, yes VERY spooky indeed haha, yea whatever.
people make me laugh when stereotyping me to be honest.

savvylover112 07-19-2009 06:11 AM

people over here think all chestnut mares are crazy and when my mother went to buy one they were all like why would you buy such a crazy animal and in fact she is very quick and would hardly ever spook or anything like that that is associated with chestnut mares!!

FGRanch 07-19-2009 11:54 AM

I've been sterotyped again and again! Alot of it from people on this board, who think they know something about me.

toadflax 07-19-2009 12:08 PM

It's just what people do, it's how we're wired, to generalize. Harmless unless it leads people to be cruel, even if it gets annoying sometimes too. All you have to do when someone says for example, "Mustangs are crap horses" is to say, "Do you really think so?" and then tell them sweetly all about how fantastic yours are and how well you do with them, and how quickly they learn to neck rein...
You won't change any minds over night but you'll plant a seed anyway.
It's proven that people cling to our beliefs so strongly that we don't even 'hear' information to the contrary.
You might even think of it as a kind of game, challenging people's preconceived ideas about you or your horse.
I think Mustangs are awesome, btw, and really admire people who have the patience and skill to bring them round. I don't think you can find a more solid riding horse; if you can get them to that point, you're golden.
(My own little stereotype there...)

Ps I do have to add that my little Arab is indeed ditzy and spooky, even at 19, still a fruitcake, *sigh*
solid little trail horse too, though, just don't ask him to get his dainty feet wet...

Cat 07-19-2009 02:33 PM

Well obviously since I have haflingers I must drive because they are only good as cart ponies.

shmurmer4 07-19-2009 02:42 PM

Everyone is stereotyped, too many ethnocentric people in this world.

close2prfct 07-19-2009 03:12 PM

Let's see I'm retired from law enforcement so that means I'm ******ed, I only did it for the "power", I was only out to harass people, because I am female I could have only risen to the rank of Police Chief by sleeping with someone to get there...yeah I guess I've been stereotyped a few times.

Walkamile 07-19-2009 03:21 PM

Have to agree with Shmurmer4, lots of it happening, just human nature to a degree. I try hard not to do it, but to be honest, probably do also. Have had it done to me, still do, but I guess I just don't let it get to me anymore. Maybe there is something to that old saying , "you get wiser as you get older". Or maybe if you live long enough, who cares! :lol: