The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   No jumping at my barn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/no-jumping-my-barn-319858/)

HMHawkeye 11-27-2013 03:38 PM

No jumping at my barn

Hi, everyone! I have a question concerning jumping and insurance!
Recently, at the barn where I ride, two people who handle the business side of the farm and actually don't know much about horses convinced the owners to ban any type of jumping on the premises! We have poles and standards, but we're not allowed to ride our horses over anything other than a pole laying flat on the ground! They're first excuse was the horses are too old to jump! The majority of our horses are 20 and over so I understand keeping them from jumping! But we also have two horses aged 8 and 10 who are talented jumpers! The first one (who's name is Biscut!) I was training myself prior to this new rule! I mentioned this to them once and they quickly changed over to some excuse about insurance!
Before I go further, please understand that these people are extremely power hungry! They MUST control everything and it's actually scary because you can get in trouble for nothing if they feel like yelling at someone! Stuff like this has been happening to everyone who goes to that farm for 10 years and it's a real problem! But that issue is being worked out so please focus on my question:
I've been researching it, but I haven't found any information on the subject of jumping insurance! Can someone explain to me in EXTREME detail how such insurance works (if it exists) and if it doesn't exist, I would love to know how jumping coincides with riding insurance or whatever it is!
Just so you all know, we always ride with a licensed instructor so that's clearly not an issue! I would just like to know if this insurance thing is a good and viable excuse to ban jumping!
Thanks, everyone!
Nickers!
HM
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 11-27-2013 04:11 PM

My thought is that they swam jumping a "high risk" activity, hence they have a higher chance of getting sued.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 11-27-2013 04:20 PM

Their facilities, their rules. If you don't like the ban on jumping, the only option you have is to move barns.

Regardless of how you feel, if the owners think it's too much of a liability to allow jumping, then that's their right to restrict it.

Plus, what's with all the (!!!!!) exclamation points?

DuckDodgers 11-27-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 4193450)
Their facilities, their rules. If you don't like the ban on jumping, the only option you have is to move barns.

Regardless of how you feel, if the owners think it's too much of a liability to allow jumping, then that's their right to restrict it.

Plus, what's with all the (!!!!!) exclamation points?

^^ All of this here. I'm jump every month or so, and occasionally pop over a jump on a weekly basis. Not jumping wouldn't really hurt me, but I wouldn't want to be at a place where it wasn't allowed. Trying to convince them that a jump ban is not valid is probably not going anywhere, however, so I'd either get used to the idea or start looking for a new barn.

usandpets 11-27-2013 05:36 PM

Horses are accident magnets. Just riding one can be risky. They are probably trying to reduce some risks and their liability.

Are these their horses? I could see not letting the older ones to reduce risk of injury to the horse. Are the younger ones fully trained or still learning? If they aren't trained for jumping, there is more risk to horse and rider.

If they are not letting you jump your own horse, that's another story. But if you were to get hurt, understand that it is completely your fault and none theirs.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 11-27-2013 06:58 PM

I'm going to assume you're a minor. If that's the case, nothing you can do will change their mind.

If that's not the case and you're an adult....there's nothing you can do to change their mind.

It's not your barn, not your money and not your risk. They could be eliminating jumping as a means to reduce risk. Without a LOT more information that you won't be able to get, we can only speculate.
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 11-27-2013 10:39 PM

Given how US law works, they could be afraid of being sued if someone gets hurt. Jumping is statistically significantly more dangerous than not jumping, and a lot of lawyers would salivate at the thought of suing the business for allowing you to take the risk. In many states, you cannot 'assume the risk', even as an adult. If you are a minor...forget it!

A business can be held liable for your doing something even if they banned it, on the theory that they should have expected you to ignore the ban. I honestly do not know how any business stays open with the legal vultures flying around. In any case, it is up to a business and their insurers to decide how much liability they are willing to chance. You may disagree, but they are the ones who risk losing everything they own.

Zexious 11-27-2013 11:50 PM

Until very recently I boarded at a Hunter/Jumper barn that boasted four A and AA trainers. The horses were all top dollar and the instruction was impeccable.

It was in the rules that we were not allowed to jump without a trainer present. Again, this was at a Hunter/Jumper barn.

As said above: their facilities, their rules.

HMHawkeye 11-28-2013 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)
I do understand the "their barn, their rules" thing and I 100% agree! However, the owners are being manipulated and I just wanted a better understanding of horse and riding insurance so I could see if there is anything I can do about it! Or rather if their is anything the barn manager can do about it! I'm trying to gather this information for the both of us because she doesn't like the ban either and the way it came about: through two inexperienced horse persons who are only throwing their weight around!
There's no way I'm leaving this barn! :) This is where my heart is and this is where I will continue to volunteer, instruct, and ride! And the new rule may not change, but I'd still like to see what kind of information I can get from you all! :)
Thanks to those that reply!
HM
Posted via Mobile Device

HMHawkeye 11-28-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 4193666)
Horses are accident magnets. Just riding one can be risky. They are probably trying to reduce some risks and their liability.

Are these their horses? I could see not letting the older ones to reduce risk of injury to the horse. Are the younger ones fully trained or still learning? If they aren't trained for jumping, there is more risk to horse and rider.

If they are not letting you jump your own horse, that's another story. But if you were to get hurt, understand that it is completely your fault and none theirs.
Posted via Mobile Device

The younger ones are trained up to 2 feet and they ARE still learning! They are all owned by the farm, but not the people who pushed for the jumping ban!
Posted via Mobile Device