The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Worth the trade? Barrel prospect. (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/worth-trade-barrel-prospect-320209/)

Kadymurphy 11-28-2013 06:26 PM

Worth the trade? Barrel prospect.

Okay so I'm really new to this but I'm looking for people's opinions on this, I just want to be really sure.
I'm looking to trade my mare, for a barrel prospect. She's only 3 and already suitable for beginners. I love her so much, but I barrel race and shed rather just hangout and go slow. I'm also 5'6 with super long legs and she's barely 14 hands so I look too big on her too. I have so someone offer me a trade and I just want to see if he's worth it, just trying to get as many opinions as I can. I know he's sickle hocked so that's another thing I'd love opinions on, he's 16 hands and 5 years old.
This is my mare
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...psa450c54e.jpg

And this is the gelding

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf7d506d3.jpg

BarrelRacer23 11-29-2013 02:09 AM

Do you have any more information? Breeding? Training? I can't say much based on the 2 pictures. He doesn't really appear sickle hocked in that picture.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kadymurphy 11-29-2013 03:58 AM

The gelding is not broke, which is fine. I don't like to deal with other people's training, worked with too many problem horses haha. My friend said he was, she also said he has a bad hind end. But I thought he looked nice. So thats why I'm asking for more opinions haha. I basically just want to know if he has the build for it. But his dad is on all breed, so here's a link to his bloodlines Blus Silver Spirit Quarter Horse

My mare is an oops baby so I have no idea about her bloodlines. But she turns nice and is already automatic on the pattern. I think she'll be okay for gaming but I want something that will be a possibly 1D rodeo caliber horse.

BarrelRacer23 11-29-2013 04:10 AM

That's up to you mainly trading a broke horse for an unbroke horse. Although her age, being grade and if he's registered there wouldn't be much of a price difference.

I'd ask for more pictures of his legs, and a video of him moving unless it's in person. I like how he's built, even if he is a little downhill. But his back legs do set under him, which could be he's sickle hocked and stood up straight in this picture or he just has a low hock set. I had a terribly sickle hocked filly who when standing right you couldn't tell. His front left looks turned in as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kadymurphy 11-29-2013 04:43 AM

Here's a video of him trotting.(: http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...pse6f418ee.jpg

Saskia 11-29-2013 05:01 AM

Do you have any reason to think he will be good at barrel racing?

If he's not bred for it or trained for it then it's as much of a chance as your current mare. He might not be forward moving either, or fast or handy.

I'd also be reluctant to get any horse the owner says has a "bad hind end". All the power comes from the hind end.

Kadymurphy 11-29-2013 05:13 AM

No my friend said he's has a bad hind end haha, not the owner. I was just looking for a conformation critique. I'm good about getting horses motivation, my mare doesn't like going fast but I made barrels fun for her so she tries her heart out when she runs. My friend just told me this gelding doesn't have the conformation for it so I was wondering what your opinions where on his build.

Kadymurphy 11-29-2013 05:14 AM

I plan on training him myself.

BarrelRacer23 11-29-2013 07:57 AM

I think it's a fair enough trade. He's not sickle hocked, there's nothing about his build that says he can't be good at barrels.
As far as becoming a possible 1D rodeo horse that's up for gamble. He's thick which if picking a horse for rodeo I'd rather have over a racey built horse. He's not bred for it, but that doesn't mean he can't. Any prospect is a gamble.

In the long run if he doesn't turn out he's worth more than your mare just because he has papers, sad but true. Trying to sell any grade horse is hard alot of times, especially mares.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 11-29-2013 09:13 AM

As already been said, it is totally your call if you feel like trading your started 3-year-old for a not started 5-year-old.

I'd really like to see better pictures and better video before deciding on the back end on the 5-year-old. The picture you posted makes him look very "off" in his hind end, and look like his left front foot is turned as well. I'd like to see a "butt shot" and a front shot of him. He seems to move well in the video on a circle, but I'd like to see how he moves directly away in a straight line, and toward in a straight line (so you can see which legs are winging in or winging out), and also see him move in the straight line from the side.

His pedigree .... I don't see anything I recognize. So on that aspect, brownie points for being registered but really no better than your mare with unknown lines.

Have you been running your 3-year-old mare on barrels? Or is that a different horse you are talking about?