The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horses in a trailer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horses-trailer-32029/)

RubaiyateBandit 07-20-2009 01:08 PM

Horses in a trailer

So I've heard all sorts of theories on how a horse is most comfortable standing in a trailer. Some say the horse wants to face forward, others backward, and some others say the horse is most comfortable at a slant.

My own horses, I've noticed, hate to stand at a slant, and will stand facing forward if they *must*, but if I let them free in the trailer, they're all facing out the back.
Facing backward makes the most sense to me, because think about it: If you're sitting in a car, staring out the side window the whole time, you'll probably start to feel a bit woozy. So you'd usually turn to look out the front or back windows. Well, most trailers don't really have anything to look at toward the front, except maybe some dingy little windows way up high, so they look out the back.

So which theory have you found to be true or believe in the most?

CheyAut 07-21-2009 04:23 AM

Mine stand at a slant but facing backwards if I have them loose ;)

Nita 08-10-2009 08:46 PM

Mine face any way. ha I think they face backwards because they know that's where the door is... >.>

They will stand any direction, though. And none of the ways really affect/bother them. *shrugs* sorry, I wasn't much help lol.

StormyBlues 08-11-2009 02:18 PM

I think that if they have to be not free in the trailer, standing in our slant seems to be pretty comfterable, because they have the open window, have two sides to brace against, are over the axels and won't bump around alot.

Spastic_Dove 08-11-2009 02:26 PM

I find they like to stand backwards and at a slant.

ilovemyPhillip 08-11-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 374929)
I find they like to stand backwards and at a slant.

Same :)

.Delete. 08-11-2009 04:17 PM

I like slant. Always have. I trailer bunches of horses from my 4h group. Iv only met one horse that will not load on my trailer the first time. Horses seem to love my slant load.

Vidaloco 08-11-2009 04:23 PM

Since I have a straight load trailer they have no choice but to face forward. I guess I could try backing them up the ramp. That might be fun to watch :lol:
I do notice they ride with their butts braced against the butt bar.

horseoffire 08-11-2009 04:30 PM

I like forward and slant

RubaiyateBandit 08-11-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 375045)
Since I have a straight load trailer they have no choice but to face forward. I guess I could try backing them up the ramp. That might be fun to watch :lol:
I do notice they ride with their butts braced against the butt bar.

I have a friend with a two-horse straight load... one of her horses won't walk straight in, but he'll back in with no problem. :lol: