The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help for a hyper horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-hyper-horse-3204/)

horse_luver4e 09-03-2007 07:02 PM

Help for a hyper horse?

My 3 year old filly is very hyper when I ride her and she just doesn't pay attention. I thought it was fine but when I cued her to canter, she took off galloping and bucked a few times and I went over her neck.
So I have to take this seriously. What can I do to get her attention?

Flying B 09-03-2007 11:37 PM

If she wants to run then make her go fast real fast and make her feel like she is going to die and then stop her we want running to be a good thing but to much of a good thing is bad. Bucking happens when the front end is going slower then the back end so if you speed up the front end the back end will have to catch up to the front.

horse_luver4e 09-04-2007 05:24 PM

It's not that easy. She takes off and bucks and when she goes fast she bucks. It's like shes never tired.

Flying B 09-04-2007 05:54 PM

Nooooo it's fun when they do that, when I say go fast I mean make her go as fast as she can. You want to get her to act like she's tired even when she's is not, by making her work every time she does something that you did not tell her to do.

Nobody said training a horse was easy or happens over night, just take your time and baby steps just work on one thing at a time and stop on a good note, sometimes you might ride her for a 120 mins or just for 10 mins.

horse_luver4e 09-04-2007 06:08 PM

Going fast on JB is not fun! :shock: lol
she bucks and she threw me off. When she canters she speeds up super fast at a gallop then bucks almost 3 times then I'm unseated. I can't make her go fast. :cry:
Thats what sucks.

Sara 09-04-2007 06:16 PM

Does she buck when you lunge her at the canter?

horse_luver4e 09-04-2007 06:36 PM

Yeah sometimes

Sara 09-04-2007 07:25 PM

Try lunging her under saddle before you ride; make the lunge work as much a part of the session as riding her. Let her work off some of that energy and focus on you before you get on. Also, if she's starts bucking on the lunge, you can reprimand her without the danger of falling off. If you are consistent, she will learn rather quickly that when the tack goes on it is work time, not play time.

If the problem persists, it might be a balance issue; cantering with a person onboard can be hard for a youngster to figure out sometimes. Could be a saddle fit issue. Maybe she's sensitive and protesting strong aids or a too-strong seat. Since I can't see you ride her, its obviously hard to tell. Good luck :)

Flying B 09-05-2007 12:13 AM

If you can make her go fast enough she can't buck, but I am talking about as fast as she can run wich is not a good idea if you know you can't sit it, and then bucking becomes work.

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-05-2007 01:36 AM

how long has she been under saddle for?, i completely agree with sara...lunge before ridding her, it will do wonders, also when your on her cantering try to keep her head up...the moments she gaines controls and drops it she'll start bucking.