The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Colt Nutrition Feeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/colt-nutrition-feeding-320657/)

Aesthetic 11-29-2013 10:34 PM

Colt Nutrition Feeding

I'm weaning my six month old colt off mommy tonight. I let him eat a meal with her and then Put him in his little pen to start.
Here's some info on him. He's been eating hay and feed with his dam for a while, and drinking water. He's a fairly large colt, and I feel he's obese. He's got a wide back, but under his wooly coat I can feel a flatness over his withers kind of? I can't tell from looking because of his coat. Anyone know what I should feed him?
he's about....13.1 hh all the horses are being fed 12% sweet mixed and 12% pellet. I have working horses, hence the feed. What should I feed him?
He is eating Costa hay, about two flakes a meal since it's winter.
How much feed should I give him, if he needs to drop weight or is he Okay now?
All help needed on this like guy, I want to keep him big and healthy at the same time!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-29-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aesthetic (Post 4205361)
I'm weaning my six month old colt off mommy tonight. I let him eat a meal with her and then Put him in his little pen to start.
Here's some info on him. He's been eating hay and feed with his dam for a while, and drinking water. He's a fairly large colt, and I feel he's obese. He's got a wide back, but under his wooly coat I can feel a flatness over his withers kind of? I can't tell from looking because of his coat. Anyone know what I should feed him?
he's about....13.1 hh all the horses are being fed 12% sweet mixed and 12% pellet. I have working horses, hence the feed. What should I feed him?
He is eating Costa hay, about two flakes a meal since it's winter.
How much feed should I give him, if he needs to drop weight or is he Okay now?
All help needed on this like guy, I want to keep him big and healthy at the same time!

Got pics? And since he's a 6 month old colt just coming off mom into the harshness of winter, I would not worry about him being too heavy. It won't last long. If he doesn't lose it staying warm, he'll get a growth spurt and start looking gangly and probably ribby before too much longer. That'll go on for the next couple of years. I like to feed mine Purina Ultium Growth until they're 2 years old along with free fed grass hay and fresh water.

Aesthetic 11-29-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 4205417)
Got pics? And since he's a 6 month old colt just coming off mom into the harshness of winter, I would not worry about him being too heavy. It won't last long. If he doesn't lose it staying warm, he'll get a growth spurt and start looking gangly and probably ribby before too much longer. That'll go on for the next couple of years. I like to feed mine Purina Ultium Growth until they're 2 years old along with free fed grass hay and fresh water.

I'll post some as soon as I get my laptop. My phone doesn't post pics Well. Alright, I'll take a look at that feed(:
Posted via Mobile Device

winwillows 12-02-2013 12:42 PM

While a higher protein feed is an inefficient energy source for mature horses, proteins are the building blocks needed for growth. You need the entire program to be in the 15% protein range. Since you will not get there with straight coastal hay and 12% feeds, a protein supplement should be included in the program. Or, You can add some alfalfa for added safe protein. Any one of several protein boosters to up the total would also work. I like the ADM one. Your colt would also benefit from breaking up the high NSC pellets and sweet feed into more meals per day, and not feeding over 2 pounds of feed at a time. This would better fit the digestive system.
Posted via Mobile Device

WindTree 12-04-2013 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My QH stud colt is also six months old and was weaned at 4-5 months. I have had him for two weeks. His momma is a little under 15h and his sire a little more. All are registered. I am feeding him 2 lbs textered Horsemans Edge 12%, decent mixed hay, am & pm in the stall. Plenty of water. He stays in for the nights and pastures all day. We still have some grass. He loves to run and play. I would like to keep him healthy. I will cut him late next summer. (sooner if he gets rowdy) His testicles have dropped. What are your thoughts on this diet? Thanks

PaintHorseMares 12-04-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindTree (Post 4237794)
My QH stud colt is also six months old and was weaned at 4-5 months. I have had him for two weeks. His momma is a little under 15h and his sire a little more. All are registered. I am feeding him 2 lbs textered Horsemans Edge 12%, decent mixed hay, am & pm in the stall. Plenty of water. He stays in for the nights and pastures all day. We still have some grass. He loves to run and play. I would like to keep him healthy. I will cut him late next summer. (sooner if he gets rowdy) His testicles have dropped. What are your thoughts on this diet? Thanks

He looks really good. I wouldn't change anything. We feed our 7 month colt a textured feed from our local mill that is similar to the 10:10 product.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_1071.jpg

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-04-2013 10:21 PM

Most foal/junior feeds are around 15-16& protein, the Horseman's Edge is around 14%, so not too far off. I prefer a feed that is developed for the young horse though and I feed Ultium Growth, Omolene 300 or Equine Junior to my youngsters until they are 2 years old. Then I switch to Strategy Healthy Edge. They get free choice grass hay & water, plus the concentrate and salt free choice.

WindTree 12-05-2013 06:44 PM

Thanks for the comments! I did pick up a 50lb sack of Omolene 300 today. Cost more...$17.98 vs $13.50 for the HE 12, but I want to try it anyway. Will mix 50/50 with the HE til its gone and see what happens and how well he likes it and how he behaves. But he aint picky when it comes to feed. I'll leave everything else as is.