The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Drill Team (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/drill-team-32100/)

ChingazMyBoy 07-21-2009 05:22 AM

Drill Team

Hey,

Well I purely blame this thread on a certain member who posted their drill team photos. Well I really like the look of Drill Team and have also seen some videos of it. I would really love to start Drill Team, but how can Chinga and I work on “training” drill team without other horses and set routines? The reason I asked this is because I don’t want to drag him to a drill team practise and have no clue what I am doing or what he is doing. It would also be fun to try at home before we go off and try it so we can see if we like it. Although it looks like great fun. Also it isn't going to be a reagular thing for us, just something I would like to try with him and to see how it goes.

Thanks Maddie!
~~~~~

RubaiyateBandit 07-21-2009 11:08 AM

I literally *just* joined a starting-out drill team, and right now, none of our horses know what we're doing.
The major things that we're working on right now are getting our horses to stand in a line with a fair amount of space between them, and then walk across the arena like that. So if you really want to brush up on some drill-team-like skills, I'd say work on getting your horse to stand still in one spot, maybe even sidepass (so you can get right between two others... I've found it pretty useful, even though it's not part of any of the patterns), and walk/trot/canter in a straight line. If you can find someone else to ride with, get him used to riding right up close and personal to another horse (make sure your riding buddy's horse is OK with it, too, though!), since a drill team has to adapt to smaller arenas and the line of horses in some of the patterns might have to compress.
Here's the book of patterns that we're going off of: http://www.wsedta.org/Drill%20Maneuv...20rev01.08.pdf
Good luck!

Spastic_Dove 07-22-2009 12:17 AM

That member totally wasnt me...
Any opportunity you have to get your horse around a lot of horses is great. Get them used to flags, loud noises, banners, etc. Work on sidepassing, pivots, backing, and lengthening and shortening stride. You should also be able to do all that with one hand.

ChingazMyBoy 07-22-2009 01:12 AM

Thanks guys! Oh and of course it wasn't you Spastic Dove.....

Spastic_Dove 08-09-2009 01:50 PM

Of course not >_> I just didn't post more....
If you can find like 3 friends, you could start a quad team!

wild_spot 08-09-2009 06:11 PM

I don't think we have drill team in AUS... At least I have never seen it. Chinga, we do have what's called 'troop drill' Iin PC, which is kind of similar I think, riding in sections of four and doing routines.

ChingazMyBoy 08-10-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 373546)
I don't think we have drill team in AUS... At least I have never seen it. Chinga, we do have what's called 'troop drill' Iin PC, which is kind of similar I think, riding in sections of four and doing routines.

Oh Wild Spot, you wreaked all my fun:P. I'll have to have a look at that troop drill thing. Thanks guys.

wild_spot 08-10-2009 01:48 AM

I'm sorry to be the party pooper :p

ChingazMyBoy 08-10-2009 01:55 AM

Hehehehe. Don't worry I was joking. You wouldn't happen to have any more information on Troop Drill would you?

wild_spot 08-10-2009 06:32 PM

I've only done it at PC, and I always found it pretty boring, lol! But you ride in sections (four) half sections (pairs) and individually.