The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Reaction to MTG? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/reaction-mtg-32123/)

Mary 07-21-2009 01:21 PM

Reaction to MTG?

I am hoping someone has advice for me! I began using MTG on my horse's tail bone to promote growth and after a few weeks the result was flaky skin...big flakes and maybe some new growth.....In the meantime I have added complete feed to his diet, so could the growth be a result of the nutrition?
Soooo, I washed it and used listerine. Dry flaky skin cleared up entirely after a couple of treatments.
Okay, so then I tried MTG once again and got the same reaction. But this time, I do believe there is some new growth.
Could the reaction be caused by the sun? I have heard MTG can cause sunburn.
Don't think I want to use MTG any more though......What to do? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

jadeewood 07-25-2009 12:02 PM

i have has the same problem on my old gelding, i heard that it could cause sun burn aswell. so i just stopped using it as i thought that would be the best thing.

lovinmylife 07-25-2009 01:16 PM

Yes it can cause sun burn, after all it is an oil base. I use it on the horses tails and manes, rub it in. But these horses stay in the barn in the day and go out at night so no burn. I have had better growth results with Queen Helene cholestrol cream. Great stuff and smells good too.
Listerine is great for dandruff and dry skin too.

Mary 07-28-2009 08:00 PM

Thanks so much for your comments. The big flakes have not returned since I stopped using MTG, but he still has some dandruff on the tail bone and the hair is still so thin at the top. I have used Listerine and it seems to help with the dandruff, but doesn't it dry the tail out?

Trinity 07-28-2009 09:02 PM

I bought MTG for my mares mane and tail, and I plan on using it soon, but I bought a tail bag so she doesnt get sun burned there, and Im going to try to fight a sleazy for her mane.

minihorse927 07-28-2009 11:15 PM

If the MTG is used and the horse is left outside then it will sunburn whereever you put it and cause these big dry flakes, it is the sunburn flaking off and not dandruff. If you use it, keep them out of the sun until the MTG soaks into the hair and skin or you will always have this same result.

lauraleo 08-01-2009 05:14 PM

whats mtg

ridesapaintedpony 08-01-2009 05:28 PM

I was at a local horse expo in March and was talking to a lady with a gorgeous Paint and I remarked on some marks on his coat. She told me she had used MTG on him and he developed burn like patches. She ended up having to shave him all the way down to the skin, then bathe him in cool water. He'd had a reaction to the MTG.

The vet told her that some horses cannot tolerate the sulfur in it? I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what she was told.

It's made me a bit leery of using it on my own horse for that reason.

PaintHorseMares 08-01-2009 07:21 PM

I believe MTG has a warning on the bottle about not using it before horses are out in the sun all day.