The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Join-up (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/join-up-32143/)

trIplEcrOwngIrl 07-21-2009 04:52 PM

Join-up

I want to try join-up with my new miniature but I don't know what to do it in. the smallest pen I have is a 5(?) acre pasture. Could i make a round pen with hay bales? Then, does any one know how to DO join-up? I've only seen video's........

Thanks in advance,
trIplEcrOwngIrl

Whipple 07-21-2009 05:01 PM

I want to try join-up someday, It looks so cool!

You just keep them running, and you make them switch directions once in awhile, until they start active submissive. Then you turn away and make rounded movements.

Thats how I understand it. And when I walk upto horses in the paddocks, they tend to walk over to me if I make roundish movements instead of walking directly at them or even just standing still.

I have to say, lots of the videos on youtube are pretty crappy though.

Spastic_Dove 07-21-2009 05:06 PM

I am a HUGE monty roberts plan. I would really suggest getting his book "The Man Who Listens To Horses" It goes through how to do join up and is full of information (obviously). They had all Monty Roberts books at my Library so I would suggest seeing if there's a copy there.

You can do join up in any size arena or with no arena at all, but a round pen is ideal. If you are going to use hay bales, maybe put them two high so the horse doesn't hop out of the arena.

To do join up, you will want a long lunge line, your round pen or join up area, and if you are going to try and saddle the mini, a saddle, snaffle bridle, and pad. You could also use a surcingle if you prefer.

Bring the horse into the arena and send him away. To send the horse away, you are going to square up to the horse and lock your eye on his. This sends him the message to move away. Once he starts to go around the arena, you are going to continue to remain square and keep your eye on his. You can use your lunge line to throw at his hip and get him continuing forward. After a few laps the horse is going to begin to negotiate with you. I usually lope a few rotations in either direction then begin to see the horse communicate. the first thing you look for is his ear locked onto you, focusing on you. The next thing you're going to see is licking and chewing. He's beginning to say that he wants to come back to you and have a chance to join your "herd".
The last thing you're going to see is the horse will drop his head and his chin will be bobbing along on the ground as he moves. This is the final step. Youre now going to move your body to a fourty five degree angle to the horse and drop your eyes off the horse.
The horse at this point will stop moving away and will come up behind you and touch your shoulder with his muzzle. If he does not want to join you, get him moving until he shows the signs and try again.
Now move off and make a circle in each direction, when the horse follows you, this is follow up. :)

His description in the book is by far better, but there's a basic outline.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 07-21-2009 05:20 PM

thanks soooo much! can you do it with a whip instead of a lunge line??

Spastic_Dove 07-21-2009 05:29 PM

I wouldn't. You just want it to fall behind him and move him forward. I have much better luck with the lunge line because it's not as solid and firm as a whip. You could probably use a long lead rope if you don't have a lunge line. You only really need it if the horse isn't moving forward on it's own.

Whipple 07-21-2009 06:12 PM

Oh, I just wanted to add, if it wasnt clear, that the horse should not actually be on the lunge line.

Spastic_Dove 07-21-2009 06:13 PM

Good point! You are throwing the line behind the horse in order to push him away.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 07-21-2009 07:49 PM

okay. thank you!!

brookelovesparelli 07-21-2009 08:13 PM

Wow! join up sounds really good. Just a quick question. What would you do it for? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but would you just do it once, so your horse joins 'your heard'?? or do you do it every time b4 you ride?

Spastic_Dove 07-21-2009 08:15 PM

I do it with new horses, and when I feel necissary. If my horse is getting pushy or not paying attention, I "kick him out" of my heard like would happen in a true heard. He has to ask for forgiveness and when he does (acting submissive and wanting to come to me) I let him back to me.