The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   grr! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/grr-32202/)

Current Displeasure 07-22-2009 11:49 AM

grr!

Okay, so this is my problem:

I live on 45 acres of woodland. My parents own a commercial goat dairy (we are in New Jersey). I am currently boarding my gelding at a local stable. The board fee is pretty expensive, but my parents refuse to let me keep Colby at home because we do not have enough room for a horse.
But here is the thing. In our barn we have one free stall available. It measures 12x24. It is attached to a separate pasture (5 acres of hills and grass).
We also have an uncountable number of trails suitable for a horse and rider, as well as proper fencing surrounding our property and all of our pastures. If you ask me, we have everything we need to accomodate a horse. Even my trainer said so. Why won't my parents let me keep Colby at home?

themacpack 07-22-2009 12:03 PM

Have you asked them exactly that - with the logic presented here? While they may say that there reason is the room, they may have other reasons as well. I suggest a calm, collected conversation that you go into with open ears as it will get you much further towards any possible change of mind.

Sunny06 07-22-2009 01:15 PM

^^ Bravo. Just sit down and talk to them. A lot of people seem to be so hesitant to do that but if you really want something you will do most anything to get it (especially a horse ;)

Joshie 07-23-2009 12:20 AM

Ask your parents. Maybe they're concerned about the daily care. Also, have you thought about the fact that horses are herd animals and your boy may do better where he is... around friends?

ilovemyPhillip 08-04-2009 12:11 PM

All the suggestions given i also support :).

goldilockz 08-04-2009 12:40 PM

Maybe your parents don't want to take on the added responsibility of feeding and caring for your horse the way a boarding facility would.

If I were you, I would lay out your daily plan to feed, water, and clean up after your horse, and present that to your parents in a logical and reasonable manner. Ask them if you could possibly do this as a trial period and then decide later (like, say, a month and if you aren't taking care of the horse like you should, he'll go back to the boarding place).

I hope that helps :)