The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pasture Mates (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pasture-mates-32210/)

Current Displeasure 07-22-2009 12:50 PM

Pasture Mates

Does your horse live in the pasture, or spend the majority of it's time in one? Who are his/her pasture buddies?

My gelding Colby spends the night in a stall, but his mornings and afternoons out grazing. Here are some of his pals:

Windsong - A beautiful red roan Quarter horse mare. She is a boarder.
Diablo - An elderly, retired racehorse. He is chestnut with a white face and two socks.
Kirby - A yearling stallion. He is a Paint cross, I think, and has a tendency to kick Colby )-:
Lovey - A pretty palomino mare. Breed and age unknown. She is sweet as can be.
Striker - A bay Morgan. His owners abandoned him in the wintertime, so the stable owner took him in and is using him as a show pony for her two sons.
Autumn - A pretty dun AQH mare. She is my trainer's 12 year old horse, and I used to exercise her on the weekends. She bucks when cantered.

Who are YOUR pasture mates?

Gillian 07-22-2009 01:55 PM

Zu gets turned out with LOTS of other geldings.
He likes his herd. They're out pretty much all day, and come back in at night.

Lets see...

Likewise- OTTB off the track, bit of a troublemaker but he's adorable.
Pride- Big gorgeous bay gelding. Dunno what breed.
Coach- Bay TB. I love him, he's a real sweetheart.
Mac Murphy- REALLY big OTTB, dapple grey, a gentle giant.
Duke- Little chestnut pony.
Lucca- Friesian gelding. A bit spooky, really beautiful.
Telly- Little Morgan gelding. Blood bay.
Big Guy- The biggest horse at the barn, faded black, sweet boy.
Shadow- Bay gelding, star and an almost faded looking snip.
Peanut- Little chestnut pinto pony. Really adorable.
Cowboy- New rescue. Bay, about 16hh, super sweet.

And that's it!
:]

goldilockz 07-22-2009 01:59 PM

We just have the two QHs. They spend their nights and most of their day in their corral/stall, and a few hours in the evenings in the pasture together.

Unless you count the magpies that perch on them as pasture mates...

themacpack 07-22-2009 02:09 PM

Right now our Aero is an only "child". She can see several horses from her pasture, but none are directly across the fence or anything of that nature. She does have a deer friend who stops by each evening to have a chat and a bite to eat. I am working on convincing my husband to let us get her a friend, and am really leaning towards a mini-donk.

emaryon 07-22-2009 06:45 PM

Kojakk moved to his new boarding facility not to long ago. I haven't gotten to know all his pasture mates names yet. But, some them are Rocket, General, Pistol and Old Beau(who is like 30 some yrs old) and Beau.

Britt 07-22-2009 07:32 PM

My two horses are pastured with the rest of our herd, plus a good twenty odd cows... Lol. Here they are:

Gypsie - my mare, bay Tennessee Walker, 15 years old, 15.1 hands

Dakota - my gelding, bay Tennessee Walker, 3 years old, 15.1 hands, almost 15.2 hands

Buttercup - chestnut and white pinto Racking Horse mare, 24-ish years old, 15.1 hands

Patch - black and white pinto Racking Horse mare, 8-ish years old, 15 hands

Nugget - chestnut Rackinghorse/x/Quarterhorse mare, 2 years old, 14.1-ish hands

Wildman - sorrel Mustang/x/Quarterhorse gelding, 6 years old, 14.2 hands

Leigh - dark bay, Mustang/x/Quarterhorse mare, 3 years old, 14.1 hands

Megan - dark bay Mustang mare, 10-ish years old, 14.3 hands

Diablo - bay Mustang gelding, 30+ years old, 14.2 hands

Tilda - grey donkey, female, age unknown, height unknown (short)

Dash - brown donkey, male, a year old or younger (forgot when he was born), height unknown (short)

ChingazMyBoy 07-22-2009 08:06 PM

Chinga and Pumpkin are put out in Chinga's paddock on the weekend to play. So they are sort of paddock/pasture buddies.

myQHpaul 07-22-2009 09:14 PM

paul usually hangs out with a few of the older guys in the cutting barn. they are comet and tino. both are chestnut quarter horses but i must be bias because paul's the prettiest one in the field.

Torii 07-24-2009 04:14 PM

My two horses Tonka and King (a palomino QH and a black Tennessee Walker, respectively) both spend most of their time in pasture. Their pasture mates are two sibling brown TB - Rosey and Dudley.