The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Book suggestions wanted (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/book-suggestions-wanted-322178/)

DancingArabian 12-02-2013 11:22 PM

Book suggestions wanted

There are two little girls at my barn - okay, they're perhaps 12 and 15. The 12 year old seems like she will one day become a very serious rider, the 15 year old is very interested, but it's not her passion like it is for her sister.

I don't particularly like kids so it's unusual that I'm wanting to get them something, LOL.

Anyway...

I would like to get them a book (one copy for each) on Dressage. Is there a book out there that goes into the theory and covers things like rider position/form, correct aids/cues, etc? They're not getting particularly good Dressage lessons, but at least they're not totally on their own. I would like to supplement their knowledge and give them a way to be able to ask informed questions and have something to reference.

Does such a book exist?

DuckDodgers 12-03-2013 12:10 AM

I have several dressage books, but mine are all older hand-me-downs. Maybe not in print anymore, and none of them stick out in my head as being particularly spectacular.

I would recommend getting them the book 101 Dressage Exercises (I think that's the name). It's a great book that includes everything from very basic exercises to advanced movements. A great tool for people trying to work their way through things without a trainer. My copy mysteriously vanished awhile back, so I'm looking to get another :D

~*~anebel~*~ 12-03-2013 12:28 AM

Centered riding by Sally Swift is the only book I think any dressage rider needs :) others are nice to have, but Centered Riding is the best!
Lots of great pictures and illustrations :)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-03-2013 02:41 AM

I second the Sally Swift book, though it is not cheap.

DancingArabian 12-03-2013 07:21 AM

Is it this book?

Centered Riding (A Trafalgar Square Farm Book)
Centered Riding (A Trafalgar Square Farm Book): Sally Swift, Jean MacFarland, Mike Noble, Edward E. Emerson: 9780312127343: Amazon.com: Books
Posted via Mobile Device

~*~anebel~*~ 12-03-2013 11:05 AM

Yes that is the book! It's pretty inexpensive from what I recall...
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 12-03-2013 11:17 AM

Thanks! Looks like a good book. May as well get a copy for myself!
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 12-03-2013 10:58 PM

Did you guys know that there's a Centered Riding book 2? Seems to build on the stuff from book 1.

MyBoyPuck 12-06-2013 11:30 PM

Centered Riding 2 is very good. It does build off the info in the first book.

Rachel1786 12-07-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks to you guys I bought both books :-P like I needed to be spending more money lol