The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   what equipment will i need (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-equipment-will-i-need-32229/)

jodie2584 07-22-2009 05:23 PM

what equipment will i need

Hi hope this is the right place to put this i am new to this site, i am purchasing a yearling next week and this will be my first horse, i have friends who are going to help me out but would like to know what equipment i will need for example head coller etc, please can you help

goldilockz 07-22-2009 05:25 PM

What are your plans for your new horse?

jodie2584 07-22-2009 05:29 PM

i want to get it used to people, dogs and trafic as soon as possible as i live in a rural area an own a few dogs which will eventually be around it a lot, i eventually want to show it also

RacePony007 07-22-2009 06:02 PM

english or western?

jodie2584 07-23-2009 02:19 AM

english and eventually show jumping

Scoutrider 07-23-2009 08:57 AM

I would say that you probably need a good breakaway halter and a standard length (6-10 feet) lead rope for turnout and general leading. A longer rope (15-20 feet) or lungeline is helpful for groundwork. I like a NH style cue stick and string for groundwork as well. I think that's about all that you should need for a yearling right away as far as handling equipment goes.

You'll need a basic grooming kit: stiff bristle brush, soft bristle brush, mane/tail hairbrush or comb (your preference :wink:), hoof pick (Oster makes one with a really comfy grip), rubber currycomb, and 2 sponges (one for face, one for the under-tail area. It's helpful to color-code or otherwise mark these to keep them separate).

If your horse isn't boarded, you will definitely need some cleaning tools (at some boarding barns, you may need these anyway). A wheelbarrow, manure fork, flat edged shovel, and pitchfork will get you started, but as you go, you'll figure out what tools work best for the kind of bedding that you use.

A water bucket or trough for everywhere your horse will spend time, and a feeder. I feed hay off the ground in the stall, personally, but you may decide that a hayrack works better for you, especially if there's sand or similar footing where the hay is fed (can reduce colic risks). If it gets cold in your area, an electric water bucket will keep everything liquid (safety tip: have an electrician hook up a GFI plug for the electric bucket. These will automatically disconnect the power if there is a malfunction. Can really be a lifesaver where electricity and water meet.)

This is a really abbreviated list, but this stuff should basically get you going. As your horse gets older, you'll need more tack, what articles specifically will depend on your horse's needs and your training style/goals.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new horse! :D

jodie2584 07-23-2009 09:15 AM

thank you that is brilliant, just need to go and get the stuff now

goldilockz 07-23-2009 09:27 AM

Pick up some reading materials too! I recommend Horse Lover's Encyclopedia and a few basic horsemanship, maintenance, and care books. Once you find the horse shelf in your local bookstore, you'll go nuts :lol:

AlmagroN 07-24-2009 09:37 PM

make sure youre with someone who can help you break the horse properly. little ones pick up bad habits really really easily. for example, our first filly my mother babied and whenever we did something she didnt like, she would throw herself over backwards... well my mother did nothing to stop her so it got worse and worse. we ended up sending her to the Amish to break her because she was so bad from getting her way all the time. breaking babies is a lot of tough love and patience.

jodie2584 07-25-2009 04:20 AM

i have two family members who have had horses one of which used to break horses for a living and they are going to help me but want me to do it for experience.