The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   skinny pregnant horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-pregnant-horse-322561/)

tlvmiller 12-03-2013 04:53 PM

skinny pregnant horse

So we got a call today anout a horse tjat someone had dropped off in someone else's field with his horses and he needed someone to come get her. When I went to look at her I was not going to leabe her. She is skinny has a bad case of rain rot and looks like she could be going to have a baby. I pit her in a stall and decided I am only going to give her hay and water for a couple of day's events untold she ajust to that any suggestions on what I should start her out with like what would be the best feed and whay to worm her with. I have not been around a pregnant mare for ten yrs snd never around a skinny one
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 12-04-2013 09:32 AM

I think you really need to get a vet out to confirm if she's pregnant or not and if she is how far on she roughly is before you give any sort of wormers

Super Nova 12-10-2013 12:32 PM

A skinny horse can look pregnant! A horse that has a big worm burden can also look pregnant!

Before doing anything with this horse I would have a vet out to assess her first.

Super Nova

CLaPorte432 12-10-2013 12:38 PM

Agreed with the others, she needs to be looked at by a vet. Never assume they are or are not pregnant. Always better to know for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoySi 12-10-2013 12:47 PM

I agree with the get a vet out. If shes as skinny as you say and potentially preggers on top of it shes going to need a vets opinion to get her where she needs to be.

Yogiwick 12-10-2013 01:28 PM

I agree with (plenty of) hay and water until you get her seen by a vet. Where are our pictures? :D