The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   We almost galloped! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/we-almost-galloped-32269/)

ChingazMyBoy 07-23-2009 03:55 AM

We almost galloped!

Hey,

Reasons why you donít buy me a OTTB and then leave Pumpkinzmybaby22 and I alone with it:

1. We attempt to make it look like a show pony
2. We try to make it friends with a little pony
3. We (okay maybe I) ride it bare back with a halter
4. Then we try to ride it double up, then jump double up (learnt not to do that pretty quick)
5. We teach it to jump
6. We turn it into a cuddly pony
7. We make it think its smaller then it is
8. We (okay I once again but she was agreeing with me try to gallop on it.

Well I thought Iíd galloped on Chinga before, I proved myself wrong today. He has jump come back into work from three days off, and he had a heap of energy. So anyway we walked, trotted and cantered around. Did a little jumping. He still had energy. Lets gallop!

We didnít get to the gallop but we had an extremely extended canter. One more nudge and we would be galloping Pumpkinzmybaby22 reckons, but it was amazing! I love having an ex-race horse. We met a tree and it took me about 5 laps to get a walk again, but it was well worth it. AND This is the best bit! I stayed on!

Maddie,

riccil0ve 07-23-2009 07:22 PM

I love to go for a good run. Just make sure you are in a controlled space, and your horse still has his head on. For example, while my horse and I were galloping down the back road behind her pasture, a big, black dog jumped out of the bushes and starting barking it's stupid head off. She flew by it like it was nothing more than the bush it jumped out of. It's fun to gallop, but you need to be safe. If your horse was to spook and dart sideways, it's very possible he would lose you and hurt himself in the process. I don't mean to discourage, just educate. =]

PumpkinzMyBaby22 07-23-2009 10:19 PM

it was preety awesome ... he was absolutly flying!!! he was enjoying it as much as Chingazmyboy was, it brung his reason for life back

ChingazMyBoy 07-24-2009 12:24 AM

It was great, he loves to jump and all. I say "He is born to run but breed to jump" I'm hoping to aim for the gallop on Saturday!

kathryn 07-24-2009 12:37 AM

Aw that sounds really fun. I've never tried to gallop before!

ChingazMyBoy 07-24-2009 12:57 AM

Yeah it is. Just watch out for trees:P

wild_spot 07-24-2009 06:08 AM

If you don't have enough control to steer well clear of trees and other obstacles I would be very wary of galloping an OTTB.

ChingazMyBoy 07-24-2009 07:14 AM

Oh no it was fine, its just a joke Pumpkinzmybaby22 and I have.

smrobs 07-24-2009 09:36 AM

Galloping is just an amazing feeling (and I have never rode and OTTB). I would not advise doing it bareback though :D at least not the first few times. Getting to that speed is very easy, it is slowing down and stopping that I always had a problem with (bareback anyway). Most my horses stop too hard and I would almost always end up right on their withers *ouch* LOL. I always make sure that I have plenty of room to run plus plenty of room to stop cause I like to take stopping slow. ;p That is very cool, I imagine that Chinga has a HUGE stride.

LauraCochran 07-24-2009 10:02 AM

I am a newbie who joined today. I have my first horse who is a 14 yr old saddlebred. I am 5'3. he is 17hh. So, he has quite an advantage. We started just walking and a little trotting on day 1. I think he had too much to eat because about an hour into riding he layed down and rolled. I had to jump quickly not to get smashed. day 2, my saddle broke and off i went. The saddle went under his belly, and I landed on my back. later after the saddle was fixed we rode for a couple hours and I attempted a gallop since the horse we were riding with (that he follows) was speeding ride by at 18 years of age. All of the sudden up comes the front legs, as i'm coming off, up came the rear where my back hit before bouncing onto the ground. Sam (my horse) didn't run he looked and walked slowly to me like, "what did I just do?" I cried because I was heartbroken. I couldnt understand why a horse of pure muscle wouldn't want to just take off. I did get right back on and he attempted to buck a couple of times at a trot or walk and I gained control. but I went home just in tears. I called my friend (previous owner) and she said that Sam had never done that before. Never rolled, never bucked..none of what I was experiencing. So yesterday...the previous owners came over and used their saddle...girth..and taught me a few things that Sam was accustomed to. I could not belive the difference. He galloped. He neck reined (if we crisscrossed the reins) he let me ride him. It was wonderful. Hopefully, this will continue. We did hit a tree while galloping, but that was nothing compared to the rush of the glided gallop that I love so much.