The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning my mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-my-mare-32271/)

Alycat 07-23-2009 04:05 AM

Cleaning my mare

I have a question about cleaning my mare's udders??? (I don't know if that is what you call them or not! lol!) Anyway I looked between them and saw dirt just packed up there in between. I felt so bad because the dirt had built up so much that it looked and peeled off like a scab. My question is do I just get a rag and the same soap I use to wash her to clean it or do I do something else?

I feel really bad that I had not noticed it before.

Thanks,
Aly

LeahKathleen 07-23-2009 04:36 AM

I think soap might irritate that area, although I don't know for sure. I usually give my mares' a good spray down with the hose during a bath. If it's just dirt, water and rag ought to do the trick - just make she's ok with you being down there, some mares are weird about that.

MN Tigerstripes 07-23-2009 08:34 AM

I use soap when I bathe my mare. Otherwise just water and a rag.... or sometimes just a rag. My mare loves it, she almost falls over when I clean her! LOL! I started slow though because I've heard of mares that really don't like it.

Vidaloco 07-23-2009 09:28 AM

I use just my fingers (wash them quick after) when its not bad. If its really icky, I use a damp cloth. I've heard baby wipes work good but have never tried it.
If you keep up with it its not bad. Its when its been awhile or if the weather has been hot or wet that it gets like tar and really nasty.

Alycat 07-23-2009 10:27 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. It really helps. I just didn't want to do something that might irritate her skin or anything like that.

Thanks again!
Aly

kitten_Val 07-23-2009 11:40 AM

We use bunch of warm(!) water and a big soft sponge. Just put lots of warm water and those sticky dirt is removed by the sponge. Be careful though as not every mare likes it. My qh really enjoys (she starts sucking my neck with lips when we do it - very, very ticklish), my paint hates it (she actually kicks out).

I do it without any gloves. I've heard horror stories here about smelt, and (yes, I know it's funny :D ) I took hands to my nose as well as my mom did out of curiosity while cleaning there and there was NO SMELT at all.

Hoofprints in the Sand 07-23-2009 12:26 PM

I clean my mare once a week, and I use a sponge and soapy water to really get all of the gross built up stuff out of there :-p

But make sure you rinse with clean water afterwords, since if you leave soap residue in there it may irritate her. My mare doesn't seem to care when I clean here there either way...doesn't seem to enjoy it, yet doesn't bother her either, she just kinda stands there haha!

Just thank your lucky stars you don't have a gelding and have to clean a sheath!!! lol ;-)

riccil0ve 07-23-2009 12:26 PM

Both my girls love to have their udders cleaned. My filly was really mad when I first cleaned her, I think because it was so bad, but I usually run my hands up in there every chance I get and pick off any ickies, and they both practically fall over.

Vidaloco 07-23-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 358643)

I do it without any gloves. I've heard horror stories here about smelt, and (yes, I know it's funny :D ) I took hands to my nose as well as my mom did out of curiosity while cleaning there and there was NO SMELT at all.

kitten, you and your mom must have broken sniffers :lol: Either that or you have an unusually sweet mare. My girls all stink. :-P

kitten_Val 07-23-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 358826)
kitten, you and your mom must have broken sniffers :lol: Either that or you have an unusually sweet mare. My girls all stink. :-P

Maureen, I was 100% serious! :-) I remember you (and some other people) said it smell horrible, but both my mares have no smell at all (and I'm really good about feeling it). I checked that out several times and never notice any. Not sure why, but it's just a fact. Lol! So cleaning is usually pretty pleasant procedure (except the fact my paint doesn't like it much).