The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tails (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tails-32275/)

yellowhorse 07-23-2009 08:29 AM

Tails

I didn't know where to put this thread, but anyway, I help out at a stable for a little bit of money (not much!) and they recently bought a new horse. Its a white Hanoverian around six years old and is a fairly good jumper, but for some reason he only has a little stump of a tail like its just growing back. Why to people cut back horses tails, because they are too long or hard to groom or something? Thanks in advance for the answers! :-)

Sunny06 07-23-2009 01:40 PM

He probably got a knot in his tail and nobody was patient enough to untangle it, so they cut it.

RedRoan 07-25-2009 10:10 AM

There are a number of reasons and like sunny said its mostly like they had a tangle and just chopped it off because they didn't want to take time in getting it out.

The other reasons could be is if the horse is a mare and had a baby I know of a few people that cut their mare's tails off for birthing reasons.

If the horse is a cart horse sometimes they chop them off to avoid getting tangled in the cart and leathers.

The other reason could be a bit extreme but they could of cut the tail off and sold it. They are a lot of money and maybe they wanted to sacrifice for some money. (The horse could have been a victim of someone coming in the barn and chopping it off and stealing it.... but again a bit too extreme of a reason).

1dog3cats17rodents 07-25-2009 01:35 PM

A pasture mate could have eaten it off, it happens

RedRoan 07-25-2009 03:27 PM

Oh the horse might have rubbed it off also.

ilovemyPhillip 07-25-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRoan (Post 360394)
There are a number of reasons and like sunny said its mostly like they had a tangle and just chopped it off because they didn't want to take time in getting it out.

The other reasons could be is if the horse is a mare and had a baby I know of a few people that cut their mare's tails off for birthing reasons.

If the horse is a cart horse sometimes they chop them off to avoid getting tangled in the cart and leathers.

The other reason could be a bit extreme but they could of cut the tail off and sold it. They are a lot of money and maybe they wanted to sacrifice for some money. (The horse could have been a victim of someone coming in the barn and chopping it off and stealing it.... but again a bit too extreme of a reason).

these are great reasons. and if she was in with goats goats nibble off tails :P

horseMAD 07-25-2009 07:02 PM

I have another idea which i learnt in school actually - Apparently people cut horses tails off for the bows in violins which make the sound. I think it is pretty mean - Why should horses suffer? (I know that horses don't actually feel much tho, but still!) :(

minihorse927 07-28-2009 11:26 PM

I had a mini mare with a tail that drug the ground about a foot and a half, my pygmy goats decided it was a bag of twizzlers one night and devoured it. They left me peach fuzz on her tail bone, a year later it is almost on the ground again.

AlmagroN 07-29-2009 06:05 PM

sometimes, if a horse is being swam (in a pool), they cut the tails so that they dont get stuck in the drain.

SFMoneyMarket 07-30-2009 10:59 PM

The horse could just have a naturally skimpy tail, we've got a couple at my barn with very pathetic tails, and they were just born like that.