The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   New rescue horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/new-rescue-horse-32280/)

nldiaz66 07-23-2009 11:40 AM

New rescue horse

1 Attachment(s)
I was just given a 5 yr.old arabian gelding who was rescued from slaughter,he is under weight but not really that bad.I have him on the same feed as the old owner which is OBS racing blend and I'm also giving him alfafia hay, he is up to date on worming,farrier and shots.Is there anything else I need to be feeding him? Here is a pic...

nldiaz66 07-23-2009 11:42 AM

just to let all you know,I give the mare,(Mystair) back to the reascue shelter

themacpack 07-23-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nldiaz66 (Post 358587)
just to let all you know,I give the mare,(Mystair) back to the reascue shelter

Why???

nldiaz66 07-23-2009 01:27 PM

because I have a stallion and if she has ringbone like the shelter said they told me it wasnt a good ideal for her to get pregnant.So they found her another home.

aynelson 07-24-2009 02:16 AM

You referred to rescuing a horse from "slaughter." I thought there was a federal law that went into place that made it illegal to sell horses for slaughter - is this not really the case?

nldiaz66 07-24-2009 10:06 AM

I really dont know what the law is to tell you the truth,all I know is that the person that gave me the horse said the owner was sending it to the auction,you know what happens at auctions, they are sold cheap and sent to slaughter, most of the time, hate to say it but not all of them are saved.

themacpack 07-24-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aynelson (Post 359408)
You referred to rescuing a horse from "slaughter." I thought there was a federal law that went into place that made it illegal to sell horses for slaughter - is this not really the case?

Slaughter buyers still frequent horse auctions and purchase horses (especially now with the market for horses what it is). They are shipped to Canada and/or Mexico for processing at plants that operate there.

nldiaz66 07-24-2009 10:09 AM

themacpack: exactly right

deineria 07-24-2009 11:41 AM

To my understanding, it is illegal only to sell for human consumption, and it is legal to sell for slaughter for other reasons, and of course, slaughter for human consumption is still legal across the border. Both of my current rescues were slaughter bound.

You might add a little beet pulp or weight gainer to his feed. He looks pretty good really.

nldiaz66 07-24-2009 03:39 PM

Yeah he doesnt look that bad, just needs to be filled in and some filling in on his topline because you can see his spine.His feed that he is on has beet pulp and alfafia in it and I have been giving him alfafia hay about 4 flakes a day,as far as weight gainer I havent had any luck with it in the passed and I didnt want to waste my money if it's not going to work, Can I add beet pulp to his feed? Do I need to wet it down or dry? He is getting 1 and a half scoops(about 4 1/2qts) twice a day.