The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What can you do with a Welsh? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-can-you-do-welsh-32293/)

Current Displeasure 07-23-2009 12:23 PM

What can you do with a Welsh?

Hi,
A friend of mine is looking to start breeding Welsh ponies. I agreed to help her research them before she just jumped into the business. Here's my question to you...

What can you do with a Welsh pony?

I've heard of people training Welsh ponies to pull carts and carriages. I've also seen them used as children's ponies. What else can you do with them?

If you were to start raising Welsh ponies and own a Welsh pony farm, what services could you offer to the public? Also, are these ponies good as lesson horses for small children?

1dog3cats17rodents 07-23-2009 12:28 PM

WElshes are in my opion the "supreme" pony. a well bred one (Key words well bred) can excell in driving, hunter, as a children's/lesson pony, pretty much everything you ask of them. My grandparen't used to raise REALLY nice welshes and in breed shows thgey did english, western, driving, and halter. Most of the ponies at our hunter barn are welshes too. They have great movement, are typically good natured and are just as cute as a button.

HorseOfCourse 07-23-2009 12:43 PM

I have a Welsh pony that used to be an amish cart pony. He was never formally trained to ride, we just kind of threw tack on him and he went along with it. He now serves as a child's mount and I'm thinking of teaching him to jump.

Visibre 07-23-2009 12:55 PM

Free jumping, learning tricks and pretty much...
I have a welsh pony to :D

Tennessee 07-23-2009 01:21 PM

I use to have a Welsh Pony cross when I was VERY young. I did barrels events(in the younger divisions of course) and poles.

They are truly all around. Just train them right, and they can accomplish anything.

QHDragon 07-23-2009 01:26 PM

Friend of mine breeds and shows some very fancy welsh ponies. Her horses compete in hunter under saddle type classes, driving, driving confo, breed confo, and general halter classes.

Her horses go for a pretty penny even in today's market. But you friend should not expect to be making much money in the next few years. It takes time and planning to build up a good stock of ponies and to start producing good ponies that people are going to want to buy as well as getting her name recognized and her ponies recognized as a good product. She will need to put careful consideration into bloodlines, conformation of each horse in the breeding program, and creating a well rounded and safe pony.

eventerdrew 07-23-2009 02:26 PM

welshes are one of the most versatile pony breeds. I haven't seen a discipline they can't do!

Nutty Saddler 07-23-2009 05:58 PM

Which welsh are you talking about section a,b,c or d ?
They are all different and can be used for different things.

I can ride our section D but wouldn't ride our section A

boxer 07-23-2009 09:08 PM

welshes are wonderful pony and as nutty saddler said above about the different sections, they come in a range of sizes to suit just about anyone. They are generally very versatile from being able to do pony dressage to mounted games and jumping. My instructor has three welshies rangeing in size from 11hh to 14.1 hh. They have the best people friendly natures. the 11hh welsh is only 2 years old and just LOVES to be around people, even when she is eating her breakfast if someone comes near she has to come and say hello.

CheyAut 07-24-2009 02:29 AM

I love welsh, particularly the C's and D's :) I have a mare who is half welsh cob (and half haflinger) whom I ride. I am in LOVE with my friend's C who she competes in combined driving. They're beautiful and athletic :)