The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   how to make a newbie comfy? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/how-make-newbie-comfy-32299/)

BrokenWings 07-23-2009 12:57 PM

how to make a newbie comfy?

Hey everyone!
I am so excited, my husband has finally agreed to come on a trail ride with me! He has not been riding since last year (March maybe?) and he was not thrilled with the result....rode for about 15 mins and complained he was cold (wuss :)
Does anyone have any suggestions as to hoe to keep him comfy/engaged on our ride? I am 5.5 months pregnant so we can only really walk, but I want it to be a really pleasant experience that he'll want to repeat.
Thanks guys!

Sunny06 07-23-2009 01:06 PM

A comfy saddle (maybe a sheepskin butt saver) and a horse that behaves :)

Plenty of warm clothes!

Congrats, by the way. It isn't easy getting someone on a bouncy horse who isn't used to it and isn't very interested. Believe me. Have had plenty of experience in that department.

BrokenWings 07-23-2009 03:03 PM

Thanks :) The horse is wonderful, I put my 2 year old on her, she's a sweet as a summer's day.
The Buttsaver is an excellent idea! I may borrow one from the other boarders as I don't have my own. I think last time he said the saddle was not comfy, but maybe his sturrups were too high. I'll have to play with the length a little.

Vidaloco 07-23-2009 03:24 PM

My husband swears by compression shorts. He says it makes any bouncing easier on his *ahem* "boys"
I think green male riders have a harder time avoiding pain.

CheyAut 07-24-2009 02:44 AM

I agree with the seat cushion. Bought one for my hubby to help him be comfortable... but he never used it, never rode lol ;) But my friend used it last weekend and was greatful :)

horseMAD 07-24-2009 04:39 AM

Maybe - Bring some snacks to eat on the way! Plan well and a good route which passes by some amazing stuff! :) How's that?!? ;)

BrokenWings 07-24-2009 08:28 AM

he was really enthusiastic about the sheepskin/cushion, so that's a go for sure! I plan on packing the saddle bags with goodies and water for the route. He seems to be warming up to the idea, but this morning implied he'd rather sleep in than go.....I gave him the giant pregnant pount and he said "suit yourself" ha, I win :)

Sunny06 07-24-2009 12:38 PM

^ Ha! Funny!

Well, make sure you will be riding 'easy' trails for his first time.

BrokenWings 07-24-2009 01:06 PM

yeah, it has to be pretty laid back. I can't take the jiggling belly anymore ;)

iridehorses 07-24-2009 01:12 PM

Compression shorts?! I had to look that up. Great idea.