The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Confused about PMU horse pricing. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/confused-about-pmu-horse-pricing-32340/)

Lucara 07-23-2009 11:02 PM

Confused about PMU horse pricing.

I wasn't sure where else to put this so I decided to put it here. I've been searching horse adds here and there looking for that one horse that I just cant resist. I've been looking at rescues and PMU sites and for the life of me I just can't figure out how they price their horses.

Take this guy for example. Hes one of my top choices due to his looks (which is really all I have to go on).

PMU5135 (Gries) - Horse Details

Hes a gorgeous draft cross, 6yr stallion. BUT at 6yrs old hes never been handled, hes not halter broken, hes a stallion (not keen on the stallion temperments) and they want $2,500 for him! Hes got nothing exceptional in his bloodlines listed so I just cant fathom how they think hes worth $2,500?

Right now $2500 can buy a stunning, dead broke draft cross with the tack thrown in! Lol

Anyone have any ideas? I contacted the people because I am fairly interested in him but I cant imagine paying more than $700 for that horse. I wouldn't even know how they would manage to ship him to me!

themacpack 07-23-2009 11:13 PM

There are people out there who are so inspired by the cause that they pay more than the "value" of the horse (and would argue that there is no value on the horse, lol). A lot of the "overpricing" is a way to fund continued efforts towards the cause (not saying there aren't unscrupulous people out there who would/do use it to line their own pocket) as there are a lot of expenses involved in rescue work and keeping the rescue up and running. It seems backwards/upside down, I know, but that's the best explanation I can come up with. Also, just finished reading the listing, the transportation cost up to 2000 miles is in there. The way they word it makes it seem that they would likely ship large numbers of horses to one general area and have all adopters travel to the pick-up point to collect their horse.