The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   serious help needed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/serious-help-needed-323402/)

dustinwhite87 12-04-2013 08:42 PM

serious help needed!

1 Attachment(s)
Alright so my girlfriend has a 2 year old red dunn quarter horse.. She has been bucked off 6 times now.. So we hooked up with a trainer, he worked with her for a week, got her to where we can ride her around town.. we have been riding all week around town, no problems, she isnt scared of anything, she walks with her head down, slow nice easy pace.. So today we went out into a corn field and walked down a drainage passage place in the field and she did wonderfull, Then we crossed the road and hit another passage in the field and my girlfriend moved to get a better seat in the saddle, and her horse flipped out, started spining, bucking, bunny hopping, girlfriend managed to stay on, got her calmed down. As soon as she gave her loose reins she started in again, this time flung her off into the mudd.. What the hell is wrong with this horse.. There was nothing to be affraid of.. Me and my horse just walked through there and there wasnt anything but grass there.. I asked our trainer about saddle fitting, but he is kinda like mr.gore he thinks one saddle fits all.. COuuld it be the saddle not fitting right, and then when she moved maybe she pinched. IDK please someone give us good advice and what else you may think.. Her horse is the red dunn, mine is the darker one

Breezy2011 12-04-2013 08:53 PM

I may not be that big of a help, but to me it sounds like this filly is not mentally ready. Since she is only 2, she is still a baby. Maybe get a good ride or 2 in, and then give her some time off to process things and mature a little more. Or you could get a full time trainer to help you through all the baby moments.

dustinwhite87 12-04-2013 08:57 PM

Well something needs to help! cant just keep getting bucked off. There is no reason for it.. No one is doing anything wrong to her

spirit88 12-04-2013 09:06 PM

Fact is she's to young to be riding period...she's not mentaly ready shes telling you loud and clear. Listen to her. Get one ride on her with no bucking off and leave her be till next year or even year after that.

rookie 12-04-2013 09:07 PM

I kinda agree with Breezy, she is not mentally ready. That said the horse is learning that she can get folks off. Is this horse like this on the ground? I would check saddle fit, different backs have different needs. Check her teeth, they should be fine but its worth a check. How is your girlfriend as a rider? be honest could she be doing something that the horse is too young to handle, ie tight on the reins, a bit heavy handed etc? There are horses that are unpredictable but for every one of them there are ten that just know how to get people off and get out of work. These are just my opinions and I am not an expert.

I would also keep rides short and sweet. No need to for miles just a quick around the barn. If she is good off and back to pasture.

PunksTank 12-04-2013 09:16 PM

Taking a 2 year old out for long taxing rides with only 1 week of professional training - with a trainer who believes 1-size-fits all for saddles. x.x I don't know where to start.

First of all if you want her to be useful most of her life STOP riding the 2 y/o. Horse's spines don't even close until they're 5-6.
Second, yes the saddle may not fit right - being only 2 her back is going to be changing for the next 3-4 years pretty extremely, then it should only change with dramatic feed or exercise changes causing muscle or weight gain or loss. So even if it fit last month it may not now.

It sounds to me like this horse really doesn't "know" much, she just blindly obeys because she has to until she just can't handle it anymore and does the only thing she can think of to relieve all of her issues.
I can't agree more with Spirit - Put her in a field. Do ground work and exercises for the next year or two, then start again.

dustinwhite87 12-04-2013 09:27 PM

Her ground work we have done, she is very good on the ground. Like i said my gf and her follow me and my horse around town probably a 15 minute ride.. This has been going all week, head down, no sign of fear or anything.. her teeth are fine, she rides in a o ring snaffle. Gf knows how to ride, so there isnt a problem there.. This all happened when ashley moved to get a better seat and all hell broke loose.. I have a couple of trainers that are going to work with her in the spring time.. But i cant ride with out my gf, or else my horse freaks out and does stupid stuff all the time.. She has seperation anxiety. Which i dont know how to fix that either..

4horses 12-04-2013 09:29 PM

Too young to be trail riding. Or be riding at all. Period!

At that age, my horse was being hand walked everywhere and ponied off my old mare. If I couldn't pony her, I hand walked her.

Before leaving the yard, I taught her showmanship- the horse must be able to walk and trot with a handler, back up, and yield the hindquarters.

I always used a short chain under her chin, and carried a whip with me on walks. If something upset her, I would make her back up, yield the hindquarters and sometimes I also carried the lunge line in case we needed to do a short lunging lesson.

People gave me weird looks as she was a big girl, but she was just a baby and grew a full hand during her 2 yr old year.

I did not do much riding during that time. At home I put weight on her and got off again. That was it. I taught her to trailer and took her places to get exposed.

There is a reason this horse is acting up- it is either terrified or in pain. Some horses also buck when excited, but that is usually just a few bucks and not several.

dustinwhite87 12-04-2013 09:33 PM

And they believe that she is almost fully grown.. She is almost 900# and built like a tank.. I understand her joints and stuff are still growing, but she is a big girl.. Not tall but Stocky

DancingArabian 12-04-2013 09:33 PM

She's two. Letting her grow up will be the best thing to help the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device