The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   AA Double Agouti Gene Trait (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/aa-double-agouti-gene-trait-3236/)

neurostim 09-06-2007 01:49 PM

AA Double Agouti Gene Trait

Do you think a horse with the double agouti gene is worth more to you or not?

Thanks,
Keith

LilacsGirl 02-03-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neurostim (Post 23918)
Do you think a horse with the double agouti gene is worth more to you or not?

Thanks,
Keith

As a breeder, AA is a nuisance for me, because it prevents me from breeding black. I prefer horses that are Aa or ever better - aa.

Druydess 02-03-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilacsGirl (Post 1875755)
As a breeder, AA is a nuisance for me, because it prevents me from breeding black. I prefer horses that are Aa or ever better - aa.

Have to agree with Lilac.
BTW-- love your tagline Lilac. Wouldn't it be nice if people got that?? :wink:

LilacsGirl 02-04-2013 08:19 AM

Thanks! I have a gold champagne mare that carries silver, and I don't know if you know this, but for some bizarre reason, Silvers tend to be AA - which is anathema to someone trying to get Black Silver (the creme de la creme!).

My kingdom for some aa mares! :) - love your tag line too, as it happens!

nrhareiner 02-04-2013 03:04 PM

I have a mare who is EE AA. I also have mares who are not. Could care less what color a horse is. What I care about is the size of check they can bring home at the end of the day.

Glynnis 02-04-2013 03:26 PM

If we were to eliminate all other components that go into breeding like personality, confo, performance, etc., and look solely at colour, in my opinion, no, double agouti would not be worth more. Colour experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the agouti modifier does is restrict black pigmentation to points, such as legs, ears, etc. with the most common result being Bay. I'm pretty sure all that AA means is that resulting foal will for sure express agouti in some way, but since it is so common, I don't think it would be worth anything more, just on its own.

NdAppy 02-04-2013 03:55 PM

That's exactly what it is Glynnis.

And FYI for everyone... The original post was posted in 2007...

Glynnis 02-04-2013 03:59 PM

How strange that it was answered 6 years later. Hopefully that person got what they were looking for, or else they have been waiting a heck of a long time!

LilacsGirl 02-04-2013 04:21 PM

Totally agree ... but as a breeder, the color of the horse directly affects the paycheck he brings home to ME. Many buyers seem to care quite a lot.

LilacsGirl 02-04-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glynnis (Post 1877913)
How strange that it was answered 6 years later. Hopefully that person got what they were looking for, or else they have been waiting a heck of a long time!

I think it was an administrator, just trying to get some chat going ;)