The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   back lump??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/back-lump-32365/)

aruraeclipse 07-24-2009 11:49 AM

back lump???

Hello Ya'll
I have been riding my horse Rhiszo, haven't done anything to strenious with him, just slowly getting him back in shape again, and yesterday I noticed he has a somewhat hard bump on his back before his back hips but after where the saddle lays'. I put my fingers on either side of his vertebrae, and his fine till you go over that slightly swollen point, I can see that he is stiff on his back end due to that small lump, he is only 5 years old and a very healthy horse, but I was wondering if anyone might know what this is, and I'm wondering if I should put absorabene for horses over it, haven't put anything on it yet because I don't know what it is, and I don't want to put the wrong thing over it.
Any suggestions or help, i'm not going to ride him again till he is healed.
Do you think its something that might have strained when he was doing an extended loap?

RedRoan 07-24-2009 12:18 PM

Without a picture its hard to tell. My horse gets bumps on his spine due to my saddle not fitting him well. I've found that in my case it is when the bottom of the saddle is putting hard pressure on the spine in that certain spot. But my horse's bumps go away after twenty minutes of the saddle being off.

That could be the same case as you but the other thing i'm thinking of is it could be what they call jumper's back. I've seen horses (including mine) get it before and no they are not jumpers. I've found my horse gets it when he is really out of shape and I riding him to long (mostly trotting and cantering). Depending on the horse i've seen the bump be small like you are describing and larger like what people are used to seeing.

aruraeclipse 07-24-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRoan (Post 359689)
That could be the same case as you but the other thing i'm thinking of is it could be what they call jumper's back. I've seen horses (including mine) get it before and no they are not jumpers. I've found my horse gets it when he is really out of shape and I riding him to long (mostly trotting and cantering). Depending on the horse i've seen the bump be small like you are describing and larger like what people are used to seeing.

Hello RedRoan, I don't have a picture of it yet but I'll try to get one tonight and post, I think the saddle fits him fine, I have a nice thick pad that helps too, and its definitely behind where the saddle goes! I think it is what your describing is Jumpers Back, sounds about right, I have started to trot and loap him quite a bit, just to help him get in shape, My question now is, should I put anything on it to help with this small swelling?

aruraeclipse 07-24-2009 12:57 PM

also how long does it usually take to heal?

Sunny06 07-24-2009 12:58 PM

Maybe DMSO and message it in? That is what we are doing for my horse's sore back... :P

aruraeclipse 07-24-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny06 (Post 359735)
maybe dmso and message it in? That is what we are doing for my horse's sore back... :p

dmso??

paint gurl 23 07-24-2009 02:56 PM

I would recommend a equine chiropractor. Your horse is out of shape or was and then brought back in, hes probably knocked some vertabrae out in his back and they generally wont go back in without a chiro. I wouldnt ride him until something gets fixed in that area. It could cause him to buck or get upset because his back is sore. He would appear sore in his back end if this is the case, it could be a few things that need to be adjusted. You can put absorbine on it to help his muscles relax but I would try to find a certified chiropractor in your area to help him.

aruraeclipse 07-24-2009 08:37 PM

Hello Paint Gurl 23 :) I agree with you, I didn't plan on getting on him since I knew that could make him buck and rear, anything to get me off if he is in pain! He has a big heart, and I'm guessing he had that at the end part of our ride, and he didn't do anything, I still appreciate it just the same.

I have an update, he is doing a lot better, and the swelling has gone down quite a bit, but I don't plan to ride him till he's completely not sore anymore, and I might get a vet down to help, looking at horse chiro's today and there isn't any in my area, the closest is 2h away in the valley. But I appreciate all your help and suggestions, and Will keep everyone updated.

I didn't take a picture because you could barely see it tonight where its about half the size it was yesterday or less, and when I ran my fingers over his back didn't hurt him near as bad tonight.