The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Please help!! Very urgent! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/please-help-very-urgent-32369/)

morganshow11 07-24-2009 12:09 PM

Please help!! Very urgent!

My two rats live together in a big cage, ok?
But Oreo(the rat i got first) is biting and trying to drag Gypsy(my new rat). Aer the just playing for fighting? Or what?? This is super urgent and i need to know!

Spastic_Dove 07-24-2009 12:12 PM

I would seperate them until you know whats going on. How recently did you get the new rat? They need to be gradually introduced. Is he making any noise or anything?
Im no rat expert but until you figure it out, your best bet is to seperate them.

mls 07-24-2009 12:23 PM

Your best bet would be to find a pet rat forum.

CrazyH0rse 07-24-2009 12:25 PM

or go to your local vets see if they can answer your questions

morganshow11 07-24-2009 01:29 PM

I got gypsy 2-3 weeks ago. I was observiing them and that is when i saw. She is making squeaky noises

SkylarkandWinnie 07-24-2009 01:44 PM

when you say biting what do you mean? like there flipping each other over on their backs or actually lunging at each other and squealing.

Rats DO wrestle....mine are in my bedroom and I've been woken up plenty of times to them wrestling in their cage. Usually there's only a bit of squeaking. If mine are being really annoying and making alot of noise (ex rattling the cage) I just go "hey! knock it off NOW!" that seems to work and they just go back to running around.

if there actually fighting there will probably be blood or lots and lots of squeaking from the weaker rat.

If you just threw them in the cage together that is probably the reason for them fighting. you need to separate them if this is the case and gradually introduce them.

morganshow11 07-24-2009 02:23 PM

I introduced them in the bathtub for a while and they did fine.
Its only Oreo that bite gypsy, gypsy doesnt bite back.
Oreo ius trying to drag gypsy in the corner,

Jillyann 07-24-2009 02:58 PM

I think I would get another cage, and set the two cages next to each other for a long while and let them get to know each other that way.? Then re-introduce them to each other in the same cage?

I have never owned a rat before, but that is just what I would do?

ChingazMyBoy 07-24-2009 05:53 PM

Hmmm, may sound like a stupid suggestion but what we did with Pumpkin and Chinga was we started by putting them together with a fence in between them then put them together in the spare paddock sorta thing, so neither of them were territorial of it. Once they were good with that we took them into Chinga's paddocks with their lead ropes on and once that was good we took the leadropes off and walked out and if they had a fight Pumpkin would come out,

Maybe you could do something like this with your rats?

morganshow11 07-24-2009 06:51 PM

I keep checking on them and when i went in a few hours ago they were just laying right next to eachother sleeping. So they were probably play fighting