The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   What are the chances she's pregnant...again? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/what-chances-shes-pregnant-again-323810/)

JaneyWaney9 12-05-2013 05:37 PM

What are the chances she's pregnant...again?

We took in a stray last winter, and didn't have the funds (and still don't) to get her spayed. As hard as we tried to keep her in, she got out, and BOOM, pregnant.
She had the babies in July, and we kept two out of the four babies. I don't remember when she stopped nursing, probably late September (it went on forever!).
She never seemed to go back into heat, and still isn't. Her mood was really unusual for her until, honestly, this past weekend. Only then did she sort of snap back to her normal self, which we figured was because of hormones and a respiratory infection she had.
The weird thing is, she's got a big belly that sort of looks like a pregnant belly.
A little bit worried...could she be pregnant again? I know there's no way to know for sure unless we take her in, but the fact that she never went back into heat seems weird.

TessaMay 12-05-2013 05:50 PM

Is this a cat or a dog? Look around the internet. In my state and many others there are low cost/free spay/neuter clinics that will help you. You may have to travel a ways, but it is important that she gets spayed ASAP. If she got out even once after she had the babies though, she could very well be pregnant again.

Dehda01 12-05-2013 05:55 PM

Yes. There a good chance she could be pregnant again. I would recommend spaying her immediately.
Posted via Mobile Device

dressagebelle 12-05-2013 07:49 PM

The humane society, and some rescues will help with the cost, or can find a low cost place for you to get the dog (or cat) spayed. I know here we have a lot of programs for stray animals that need to get fixed, so if you find a stray, or catch a stray, you can take it in and get it fixed and not have to pay for it, because it's a stray animal. I would ask around, get on the internet etc., and see what you can find. Also fix the babies ASAP, so they don't also end up getting pregnant, or impregnating mom or another neighborhood pet.

PastureSongs 12-05-2013 11:01 PM

You need to get this animal spayed. Even if she's pregnant, you can still have her spayed. Either that or do a better job of keeping her from getting pregnant.

There are a lot of programs around that offer low cost spay/neuter, plus vaccinations.

There's a chance she's pregnant again, the only way you're going to know is by x-ray. Or, it could be pyometra which is deadly.

LadyDreamer 12-08-2013 04:30 PM

Sorry, I have to be blunt. You don't have the money to get her spayed, and kept two of her offspring. Now you have two more to feed, and three that need to be fixed. I hope the offspring kept were females as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cielo Notturno 12-10-2013 10:15 PM

You know, if you don't have the money to spay her now, you won't have them in any near future, with litter after litter. Find new homes for the young ones (kitties? puppies?) and keep the momma inside.

Rocco boy 12-19-2013 04:02 AM

She may be pregnant or she could have worms(also give the big belly look) or bloating or a number of medical issues. I would see a vet .... Only way to know for certain.
Goodluck.
Posted via Mobile Device