Hoof Fungus - Is it thrush? Help!
My dutch WB has recently developed a powdery white, bad-smelling fungus on the soles of his hooves. Someone suggested it might be thrush but it is my understanding that thrush is black and sticky, rather than white and powdery. What am I dealing with here, and more importantly, how do I get rid of it??
I think the white powdery stuff you are describing sounds more like exfoliating going on, which is normal, but, the smell is a red flag for you to address.
I found this site for you that helps explains what to look for and do.
Thrush is really hard to get rid of unless you are dedicated to getting rid of it.
From my understanding the over the counter stuff does kill it, but also kills the frog along with it which defeats the purpose.
I myself have been doing soaks with borax/water or lysol/water every other day or so and spraying with apple cider vinegar/water mix daily.
The acv/water spray mostly just maintains it after you have it gone, it doesn't really get rid of it, just keeps it at bay at most I would say.
Here is the article
Horse Thrush - Signs, Symptoms and Treatment
if you do happen to end up with thrush, try Thrush Buster. we have used it for years with success
Sounds like Thrush. The bacteria itself make the hoof black, but if you were to start cleaning the hoof, it would end up white. I find most Thrush medications work really well, and it's never been all the hard for me to get rid of. I try to stay away from iodine or bleach, because that will kill the frog as well as the Thrush. Just clean the hooves really well, apply the Thrush medicine [I put mine in a spray bottle] to the crevices along the frog, and repeat. If he has it REALLY bad, do it twice a day, if it's not so bad, once is fine. Either way, try and clean out his feet as often as you can.
My farrier actually suggested putting a little bleach on the frogs every few days. Not sure if it works, but heck of a lot cheaper than Thrush Buster.
I have no idea. I would think something as caustic as bleach would kill everything in sight, so I haven't used it yet. The link that horsgma attached says to try apple cider vinegar as a daily treatment. Sounds like a better bet than bleach.
I've actually read on many sites that bleach will not cure thrush at all. . . I always use an OTC Trush medication, and if you use it as directed, it will go away, BUT You might need to look at what is causing the trush. . . when we have bad weather, and the pastures stay wet, it is VERY HARD to treat with success.
I think it sounds like your horse has thrush. The smell gives it away.
Bleach doesn't kill organic matter that is trapped by dirt. If you pour bleach on your horse you should use Lysol instead of bleach. Lysol will kill the organic stuff in the dirt.
bleach is an old timers use. it's ok for 1 application then i find (foulex) works pretty good. u get it at t s c stores
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.