The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   trying to create a webpage (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/trying-create-webpage-32421/)

ashleym100 07-25-2009 06:24 AM

trying to create a webpage

and I'm computer challenged,I tried 1 on trial,what do you think? I know i need better pics.Do all sites charge yearly fees?

http://www.scotterlakepaints.builder...ge/7084953.htm

weefoal 07-25-2009 10:16 AM

Here are my best tips for websites

Never use free sites people will usually click off of them as they are full of spyware and adware

Always have your own .com name with nothing else. (for example yours is www.scottlakepaints.builderspot.com You should buy it yourself and have www.scottlakepaints.com) Just way more professional :)

Be sure to use descriptive key words in your text.

I love your colors and it looks pretty good. I would though make the buttons bigger as they seem out of proportion. I would also make the home page picture a bit smaller as it takes forever to load (and im on high speed) I would also crop it as there is a lot of nothing on the left side of it.

For sure get better pictures of your mares. Muddy pasture pics are a real turn off. Mares are the cornerstone of a breeding program so you want good pictures!

CheyAut 07-25-2009 11:29 AM

^^ What she said, except I don't mind the button size and the home page loaded quick for me.

ashleym100 07-25-2009 12:11 PM

Thanks guys,I was basically just playing around Late at night to see if I could do it. Definately would get better pics......this particular site is $19.95/month, $215/year is that pretty standard?

lovinmylife 07-25-2009 12:59 PM

No that is way too much in my opinion. I pay $11.95 a month for publishing but you can get an even better rate now days. I built my website thru yahoo web hosting. Check it out at www.banbarenterprisesllc.com
Yours looks good for a beginner! Keep working at it, you'll be surprised how creative you can be!

By the way, love your horses. I have a pinto who looks about like that.

ashleym100 07-25-2009 05:20 PM

Tried another site thats $100/year if you regester your domain etc.... which do you like better

Just Alito Flashback - Home

CheyAut 07-26-2009 02:11 AM

I'm trying to remember what mine costs... I think my domain name is like $20 for three months, and my hosting is... um... $40 or less a year I think?

Becca93 07-26-2009 05:39 AM

guys guys guys. You can buy domains for like $10 a year on go daddy. $20 for three months is CRAZY.

google cheap hosting and there is a tonne of options. You wont need that much space so dont go all out. Just the basics. Yahoo is pretty good from memory.

Personally? If I was creating your website (I run a few fansites) I would run it on wordpress and you can get a million and one free themes but this is more complicated but not impossible. If anyone wants some help feel free to PM and I'll help you out.

equimed 07-27-2009 03:15 AM

$215 a year is a lot if all you are getting is an 'absent host', and not even your own domain name.

I can offer some basic advice, from once-was-a-non-geek, and still-am-computer-deficient . No charge.

Stop by at the website, take a look around, see what we've done, all entirely by ourselves. I currently have over 200 pages - all about spanish horses, - photos, videos, and over 500 visits a day.