The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   I'm getting brave... Critique Demi and Uma's conformation please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/im-getting-brave-critique-demi-umas-32433/)

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 02:25 PM

I'm getting brave... Critique Demi and Uma's conformation please!

7 Attachment(s)
Alright... so this is my first time posting something about conformation because I've always been afraid. lol. But now that I have some decent conformation shots of Demi and Uma, I would love your opinions.

Demi- the bright bay with white star (braids on right of neck)
Uma- buckskin-looking bay (she's extremely faded!) with white star (braids on left side of neck)

As for the breeds- Demi is a TB, Uma is 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire

THANKS! and please... be brutally honest. I've pretty much heard it all.

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 02:57 PM

Bumpity Bump :)))) Pweese?

riccil0ve 07-25-2009 03:05 PM

The first horse looks like she has a really large girth in comparison to the rest of her body. She also has an upside-down neck. I'd work on the top line as a whole, but especially in the neck. It looks she is leaning forward a bit too.

The second horse has a better neck, although that last picture makes her neck look terrible. And no booty! At least not in comparison to the rest of her.

Overall though? They are both beautiful, with sweet, kind faces. =]

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 03:32 PM

yeah the first horse i got a month ago. she had been off ALL winter. so her muscle definition is not good at all.

RedRoan 07-25-2009 04:18 PM

They both look great in my opinion. But that first horse looks like it has a short back... but that can be just how she is standing.

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 04:32 PM

you are correct RedRoan. she does have a short back. to put it in perspective- the first horse is 15hh and the second is almost 17hh. thanks for the critiques so far!

Equuestriaan 07-26-2009 08:43 AM

The first horse looks very large in the shoulder with a skinny and possibly short neck. She is perfect in her back half, though. It looks like she could be slightly toed-out, but that could just be how she's standing... I'd need a front view and back view at a square halt.

The second horse looks much better. The only thing I notice is that she has a rather short neck and could possibly be toed-out as well.

Sunny06 07-26-2009 04:10 PM

Definetely got plenty of breatheing room!

Everybody pretty much covered it, I think.

Eileen 11-01-2011 01:12 PM

I know I'll get flack for this but hear it goes anyway.
God made horses all different sizes, and colors because one size dosen't fit all. As riders we come in various sizes, colors and shapes and unless your a breeder looking to make buko bucks what counts is that the horse is sound, and has a willing disposition.

New_image 11-01-2011 01:37 PM

Both are very nice horses with no horrible glaring faults.
Horse #1 has a prettier head in my opinion that ties in nicely with the rest of body. I agree, work on her neck muscling. I like her nice short back and high neck set.
Horse #2 has a nicer neck, her back could be a little shorter. I actually like her hind end. Both are over all balanced - I would need better (more squared up strait on) and maybe larger pictures to really nit pick.