The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jokes and Funnies (http://www.horseforum.com/jokes-funnies/)
-   -   Non horse people (http://www.horseforum.com/jokes-funnies/non-horse-people-324410/)

Ponywhisperer 12-06-2013 01:58 PM

Non horse people

I know this has been done loads of times before but I love reading theese stories, so here's mine....

I have a friend who is into spiritual stuff and crystals and angels and so on, (She apparently used to ride at school, but if i'm honest I don't really believe her) well I took her to the riding stables one day because she wanted to watch my lesson (I don't mind, another camera to watch videos back on later :wink:) She was looking around and stroking some of the horses when she turned to me, pointed at a hanging salt lick and asked:
"What's that?" Knowing exactly what she was thinking I replied
"It's a salt lick, you thought it was a crystal didn't you?"
"Yeah, I though it was rose quarts...."
I just wanted to laugh picturing the horses meditating in their stables with a big chunk of rose quarts to help out their love lives :lol:

I don't believe that she rode at school beacause when I asked her a question from a horse quiz that was: 'What is the strap that holds the saddle on?' (pretty basic stuff :-o) she answered the multiple choice question by the process of elimination. And 'girth' happened to be the last on the list :?

Also one of my teachers told me she used to ride aswell, so I was talking to her about my pony, who's bay, and made a comment about how 'bay obviously being darker than chestnut' thinking she'd just understand. She then replied:
"Oh, I didn't know that. I thought chestnut was darker...." I corrected her and just moved on (though knowing otherwise I found it a little bit funny.
I told my friend what my teacher had said and laughed a little when telling her, only to be cut down by a snippy reply of:
"JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT HORSES DOSEN'T MEAN EVERYONE ELSE DOES! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT EITHER!" :shock: I was shocked because i've never claimed to know everything about horses.

Thanks if you read the whole post
And please share your stories about non horse people :D

thetempest89 12-06-2013 02:15 PM

When you say you use to ride. That implies that you knew what you were doing or atleast had the basics of. When I rode 10 years ago, I never took lessons. But **** it I knew the basic colours(don't ask me about paint colours), all the tacks names etc.

Ponywhisperer 12-07-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetempest89 (Post 4251050)
When you say you use to ride. That implies that you knew what you were doing or atleast had the basics of. When I rode 10 years ago, I never took lessons. But **** it I knew the basic colours(don't ask me about paint colours), all the tacks names etc.

I know I haven't been taking lessons very long, but i know what I need to know. Surly they wouldn't just let them up there without breathing a word to them of what anything's called....
Posted via Mobile Device

EdmontonHorseGal 12-07-2013 01:33 PM

'used to ride' and knowing about horses can be two totally different things.

there are riding stables out there where all you do is show up and a fully tacked horse is brought to the arena for you. after your ride, you hand the horse over to a groom. sad, but these places do exist, usually for those with lots of money to burn.

'used to ride' can also mean 'i went on a trail ride a couple times with friends/family/etc'.

so i wouldn't blast this girl too much, as she may have had riding time in the past but not necessarily learning about horses time.

aureliusandoinky 12-18-2013 03:03 PM

I rode at a place that handed you the horse fully tacked up for maybe a week or two. It was AWFUL, and they didn't even groom the horses! (this was a few years back)

Your friend doesn't sound too bad actually. My friend told me she used to ride (like a year before) a few months ago and I asked "English or Western?" and she was like "Uhhhh what?" Hahahah I really thought that was the easiest question in the book. Don't non horsey people even know that one? ;) Oh well...

Endiku 12-18-2013 04:18 PM

I've also found that a lot of things change with time, including with horses. I worked with an older gentleman (70+) for a little while, helping him with a few of his three year olds. He is and was well known for his colt starting skills back in his day, but he just can't quite ride out a 'feeling good' three year old anymore. As it turns out, a LOT of terms that we use now are different from what he used to use, and he's rather stubborn about insisting that he is correct...he is! His terms are correct for the time he trained in. For example, a colt to him is any young horse under 4 years old- male, female, suckling, or two year old. Chestnut and sorrel are two different colors for him. A pony is anything that works cattle. All saddles cinch, not girth. He also knows zilch about equine "modern medicine" such as chiro/acupuncture, "fancy breeds" as he calls them, nutrition beyond the basic oats and hay, or stable management. He grew up in the time where parents bought kids horses (often not even trained) instead of video games, and told them that if they fell off, they'd better get back on because otherwise they'd be walking for a long time. He never had a formal "lesson" in his life. But he sure as heck had some nice horses, and they were all sound, sane, and healthy.

Point being, not everyone knows everything about horses. I snicker from time to time at non-horse people (especially the prideful "know it alls") but in reality some people HAVE been around horses and DO know them, even if they don't know all of the colors and breeds and fancy gadgets that we use. If someone wants to give you a tale about how they rode their black horse up and down the prairie when they were young, just smile and nod at them. You don't know if they really did or not! ;)

GoGoJoeGranny 12-19-2013 12:48 PM

LMAO, when I read the second sentence, I was like "go grandpa"! A seventy year old with a few three year olds LOL Then I realized you were talking about horses. Hahahaha, duh, this is the HorseForum!! LOL!!

Endiku 12-19-2013 05:03 PM

LOL. Well its possible! I heard about a man in india who was 90 and just fathered his first son...