The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   skinny new horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-new-horses-324442/)

Quarterhorse88 12-06-2013 03:08 PM

skinny new horses

4 Attachment(s)
got them 2.5 weeks ago and have been feeding a total 10lbs a day of Seminole xcelerace feed topped with 4oz of cool calorie 100, broken up into 3 feeding. They have been wormed and have unlimited hay and pasture. Is there anything that I am missing in their diet that I missed?

They are all quarter horses. The mare is 18 and brown registered name "guntown prescription", the stallion is 10 and sorrel registered name "ima speedy patriot", and the gelding is 5 and bay with white rear socks.

What do you think?

The first pic it the mare when we brought her home then 2.5 weeks later

ForeverSunRider 12-06-2013 03:20 PM

It all takes time. They look eons better than they did in the first pictures. We rescued a horse 3 months ago and he's still not back up to weight. Getting horses up to weight just takes time. What you're doing looks good. Just give it time.

Quarterhorse88 12-07-2013 08:46 AM

Do you think she could be lightly ridden? She follows us in the trails without a lead rope. She likes her stallion I ride ;-)

SullysRider 12-07-2013 04:31 PM

You ride the stallion pictured O.O
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 12-07-2013 04:45 PM

Definitely no to riding any of those horses pictures yet- or really even exercising them without a rider. They're far too thin still. They're making progress but still need many, many pounds. See how much their spines are protruding? Even with a padded saddle your weight would be sitting right on the spine which can cause outward and internal damage. Give them the winter to gain weight and be horses, and re-evaluate whether or not they're ready for light work in the spring. Hopefully you have the stallion and mares separate?

Quarterhorse88 12-07-2013 07:06 PM

Yes they are separate but are right next to each other in the barn and stand by the fence where the paddocks separate. I was looking at the mare again and decided that I'll wait a little bit. I live in fl and it's 75 during the day and perfect riding weather so I'm def riding the gelding and stallion. I'll get more pics of him tomorrow because he's a lot bigger now. And we just walk around the 1/4 mile trail on our property through the woods. No cantering or jumping...yet.

SullysRider 12-07-2013 07:19 PM

I think it's a little early to be riding any of them, even if they have gained some weight...

Sharpie 12-07-2013 07:30 PM

Remember that a stallion can breed a mare through a fence. Allowing them to share a fenceline is asking for trouble and a foal from a mare who is in no condition to be pregnant (if she isn't already). Both the gelding and the stallion look like they're in quite a bit better condition than the mare, and I think your feeding plan is sound. Expect it to take months to get them all up to where they should be- horses do not and should not gain weight too quickly. Best to take it slow and steady and for them to put on muscle rather than fat.

While I don't think 1/4 mile walk will hurt them any, please, please, please be careful of putting anything on their back. Without proper muscle it is very easy to cause damage and what fits them now will likely not fit in two months. It will take 2-4 months for their starved muscles, tendons and ligaments to return to full strength, right now they are fragile and much more susceptible to injury from a minor slip or missed step than a healthy, well fed but out of shape horse would be.

smrobs 12-07-2013 07:44 PM

As others have said, it takes time. Judging from the pictures provided, I would say that the gelding is maybe in good enough condition to be lightly ridden....very lightly.

The stud and the mare, however, need a lot more time before they see any type of work that will burn calories. Right now, they need all the calories they are eating to put weight on.

Ideally, though, especially if they were at my barn, the stallion would be gelded immediately and they would all be turned out until at least spring to put weight on and get back to being healthy. Come spring, I would re-evaluate their condition and decide then which needed more time and which were ready for re-training.

waresbear 12-07-2013 07:49 PM

The more you ride them in this condition, the longer it will take for their conditions to improve, hold off a bit.