The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Protective Vest? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/protective-vest-32446/)

MyBoyPuck 07-25-2009 06:56 PM

Protective Vest?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but all safety ratings aside, (yes I know that Tipperary doesn't fit the current standards) for an older chick just looking to cushion the occasional tailbone blow once in awhile and possibly eventing BN someday, what vest would you recommend? I've been reading reviews, but so far cannot find anyone who has anything bad to say about Tipperary, but plenty of people who hate the competitors due to lack of comfort. I'm actually pretty good at falling. I usually am able to pick my spot and roll. I'm just looking for a little cushion for an aging body. I realize that nothing's going to save my butt from my horse falling on me. Just looking for best bang for the buck.

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 07:19 PM

i have a Tipp and its nice. but i am saving up for a Rodney Powell. they are so awesome! major accidents can happen at BN too...better to be safe than sorry

MIEventer 07-25-2009 10:41 PM

I have seen a handful of riders carried off of a BN course with broken ribs due to rotational falls - the riders wearing Tipp's because they were "popular" at the time.

Tips don't meet safety standards for a reason - period.

Do you want comfort? Or safety? I for one, wouldn't touch a Tip with a 10 foot pole, and am very content knowing that the vest I am wearing does meet safety standards.

To be honest, I find my Intec Flex Rider very comfortable. I forget that I am even wearing it when I have it on -

You are better off, putting your money into a vest that meets safety standards, regardless of what you are doing. Falls happen, horses step on you, anything can take place when riding a horse - whether you are doing stadium jumping, CC, trail riding - regardless.

I find Tipp's overly priced as well - who would want to put that much money into a vest that isn't even approved or certified??

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 10:49 PM

^ very well said! i still have my Tipp and only had it for a year before they announced that they werent approved. i paid a lot for my vest in my custom colors but if i could go back, i would have spent the money on an Intec, Charles Owen, or Rodney Powell

hotreddun 07-25-2009 11:25 PM

I don't like the Charles Owens...it felt like a life vest for boating...way to bulky.

Endless Journey Girl 07-25-2009 11:34 PM

I have a Tipperary as well, this is the first I've heard of it not meeting safety standards. I always knew it wouldn't save my butt in a serious circumstance but it DOES give me some extra cushioning and I'm only jumping like 2ft 2ft3 at the moment anyways. I'm the only one in my lesson that wears one, barely anyone at my barn does. I know from experience falling off with out it, and with it on that it makes a big difference, I'm not nearly as sore. It's also really comfortable don't even notice I'm wearing it really.

eventerdrew 07-25-2009 11:52 PM

thats the thing... they are TOO comfortable. they dont really do anything. they are too flexible and the design is not safe enough to meet new regulations. and this is coming from someone who has always has Tipps. Rodney Powells are amazing. they look like the Charles Owens but are more comfy. def look into them

LiveToJump 07-26-2009 12:19 AM

Honestly I've been using a Casel-Equi, and I'm not sure if those are approved or not.

But thank you for this thread, because I was looking at the Charles Owens vests, and thought they looked rather uncomfortable. I like the looks of a Rodney Powell...

MIEventer 07-26-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

I have a Tipperary as well, this is the first I've heard of it not meeting safety standards.
It is old news. The Rep at Rolex of 07' * I think?* announced that Tipperary's were not certified through ASTM nor meets the minimal standards of protection.

They do not protect the rib cage at all, and do not protect you from puncture wounds. They cannot nor will protect you during a rotationa fall, which is the most common tumble in Eventing.

So if you were cantering to a jump, and your horse stops and you keep going - you smash into the fence, the vest wont protect you at all.

The Rep discussed this at Rolex a few years back. I think it was either 06 or 07'.

Tipperary's don't even meet the minimal BETA Level 3.

I've seen quite a few wearing the Intec Flex Rider for Stadium Jumping Lessons.

Your Vest MUST have the stamps of approval on them for the vest to be approved and certified. They must have MEETS BETA LEVEL 3 or higher standards, and APPOVED BY ASTM.

I wont put a vest on me without those stamps of approvals.

Here's what I say - if you wear an ASTM approved helmet, which means that the helmet has been tested to ensure the riders protection of their head *then why not the same with vests???*

I firmly think that rules need to change in Eventing where this is applicable. If we MUST wear an ASTM approved helmet, we MUST also have to wear a vest that is approved through them as well.

A vest that has the stamps of approval means that the vest has gone through testing to proove it's quallity of protection for the wearer. Tipp does not.....so that means it did not pass the testing.

Equuestriaan 07-26-2009 09:55 AM

I was thinking of getting a protective vest. Right now, I only jump like 2'6'', but I would feel safer with the extra protection. Do they fit for a while? Do you think it would be worth it?