The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I need the best system for training racing horses! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-need-best-system-training-racing-32450/)

Horse Trainer 07-25-2009 06:38 PM

I need the best system for training racing horses!

Hi everyone : )

I hope I can find what I'm looking for here in this wonderful forum. As a racing horse trainer, what is the best system or steps or advice that you guys in such a gathering must know about.

I mean is there any authentic resource or program that you advise me to follow on the long run?

Please I'm waiting for your appreciated posts
and thank you in advance : )

SpiritJordanRivers 07-25-2009 07:04 PM

Thoroughbreds or Standardbreds?

Horse Trainer 07-26-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritJordanRivers (Post 360694)

Well, I'm not sure which kind of the two my horses belong to because I'm not familiar with the English classifications but I think it's the thoroughbreds kind.

I want the program for speed racing horses.

Thank you very much.

riccil0ve 07-26-2009 11:37 AM

Thoroughbreds run, Standardbreds pull a cart and pace. And to take it even further, there is also Steeplechase, a fast run with jumps.

I don't want to seem rude, but if you don't know the difference between the two, maybe you need to change your current ambition to something more suitable for the place you are in now? There is nothing wrong with WANTING to train race horses, but make sure your foundation of knowledge is solid and can carry you through the difficulties of the racing industry.

Horse Trainer 07-26-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritJordanRivers (Post 360694)

It's a thoroughbred

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 361195)
Thoroughbreds run, Standardbreds pull a cart and pace. And to take it even further, there is also Steeplechase, a fast run with jumps.

I don't want to seem rude, but if you don't know the difference between the two, maybe you need to change your current ambition to something more suitable for the place you are in now? There is nothing wrong with WANTING to train race horses, but make sure your foundation of knowledge is solid and can carry you through the difficulties of the racing industry.

First, thank you for telling me the difference.

Second, thank you for your advice, but honestly I'm not the one who trains horses (although I wish I am :-)), it's my brother and he is so good in that position and got first in several races and since we (in Saudi Arabia) don't have the standardbred, I didn't know what it means and later when I asked my brother whether it's thoroughbred or standardbred, he told me it's thoroughbred although he didn't know a standardbred means!

As I mentioned, my brother is doing good with his training but in order to improve his skills he asked me to search for him for further knowledge. So please if you can lead me to an effective system of training it'd be much appreciated.

I hope I'm clear enough now and I'm sorry for not clarifying this point before.

RedRoan 07-26-2009 06:29 PM

Well what exactly are you trying to learn more about? Conditioning? Grooming? Preparation? Speed? Heart?

Horse Trainer 07-26-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRoan (Post 361466)
Well what exactly are you trying to learn more about? Conditioning? Grooming? Preparation? Speed? Heart?

Well, from every side! I mean if there is any good designed program for preparing the horse for speed (physically and mentally) and and accommodating with whoever rider rides on it that would be great! This is the most important thing and the rest of what you mentioned cannot be ignored :)

RedRoan 07-27-2009 12:54 AM

Well I don't know how people in Saudi Arabia work around race horses but over here local farms use hot walkers to get some exercise beyond the normal turn out and exercise jockey.

The biggest barn uses a nice hot walker which is closed in and helps the horse to keep going forward but has more freedom for the horse to move around (not turning around though) without the restraint of their head being tied to the device. The panels can move at any speed. But I see mostly horses only going no faster then a trot for safety reasons. Here are some pictures of the kind of hot walker I'm talking about.

http://www.premierequinerehab.com/images/free_flow1.jpg
http://www.equinecisers.com/images/willowff.jpg

RiosDad 07-27-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRoan (Post 361737)
Well I don't know how people in Saudi Arabia work around race horses but over here local farms use hot walkers to get some exercise beyond the normal turn out and exercise jockey.

http://www.premierequinerehab.com/images/free_flow1.jpg
http://www.equinecisers.com/images/willowff.jpg

Hot walkers will do nothing to create a race horse. Even jogging miles and miles of trails does nothing to build a speed horse. It is about slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. The only thing that builds these fast twitch muscles is speed work. Build up slow twitch muscles, something you get from long slow distance just slows the horse down.
The hot walker would do nothing
Interval training would build the heart but you need a heart rate monitor for that and the knowledge of how to use it and not hurt the horse.]
You will not get useful information on this board for building a race horse.

TroubledTB 07-27-2009 02:48 PM

The hot walker is one of the most important tools on the track! Human or mechanical, but, I am not trying to deny Rio's Dad's very good advice, that you will not find suitable knowledge on this board about training race horses, from my understand it's a secretive guild where many horsemen are not allowed to venture or understand. I am curious what farm in Saudi Arabia you must be working for, as there is the famous Godolphin Arabian establishment that I personally choose to bet on regularly at the track. I would also be curious about what kind a of regimine a race horse would be expected to endure, and I would think the eventing people would probably have the best advice for speed conditioning, as cross country demonstrates many of the same demands.