The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Need help asap!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/need-help-asap-32452/)

Trinity 07-25-2009 06:56 PM

Need help asap!!!

Okay, I know you guys will think Im crazy but...

At work today, 3 baby mice got sprayed out of their nests, and well, they were given to me.

Now, I have a small angled eye dropper, and lactose free milk with honey for now, but, what kind of milk replacer should I get for them? They are about 1 week or so old, they have fur, but their eyes are still closed. I really want ot save them. Help soon would be wonderful!!!

SpiritJordanRivers 07-25-2009 06:59 PM

Sorry, I have no idea. Have you tried googleing it? Good luck!

MegaBraden 07-25-2009 07:08 PM

uhh look at rabbit milk replacer...

Trinity 07-25-2009 07:23 PM

Well, so far all Ive heard was puppy milk replacer is best for them.. I can try to find rabbit, but if anything I will get puppy tomorrow. Wish me luck. I really want thses little guys to survive. I already named them Big Foot, Thor and Spike, lol.

morganshow11 07-25-2009 07:32 PM

What do you mean they got 'sprayed' out of there nest?

1dog3cats17rodents 07-25-2009 07:36 PM

Get powdered Kitten replacement milk and use twice the water that the directions say to use. Here is some great info. I suggest joining the forum, they are very knowledgable people.

Caring for Orphaned mice

Trinity 07-25-2009 10:13 PM

Well, the momma made their nest between the mangers for the horses feed, and when we cleaned the barn, the got washed out when we cleaned the mangers.

Thanks! That should be awsome help!

I can take pictures of them you if you guys would like to see :)

Brighteyes 07-25-2009 10:32 PM

Whoa! Hold on there!

Do not give them puppy milk!

You can't give rodents puppy milk; it'll kill them. Get powered kitten milk replacer with twice the water recommended.

Also, don't use an eye dropper; use a medical syringe. It gives you more control quile feeding and revents the little ones from invahating food. If they do inhale their milk (you can let if they do this if milk runs from their noses and they start coughing), turn them upsidedown and rub (not pat) their backs.

What are you keeping them in? Make sure it's closed, because once they open their eyes, they'll climp right out. Also, make sure they are away from drafts and vents, as well as direct sunlight.

Once they start crawling around, put in some rat chow from the pet show, as well as crush, unsalted peanuts, and allow them to nipple. Once they are eating it regularly, wean them off milk.

I've raised squirrels all my life, as well as a few mice, so ask if you have any more questions! :D

Trinity 07-25-2009 10:46 PM

Yeah I plan on buying kitten milk tomorrow, and a better feeder. This is only temporary as I just got them today. Right now they are in a tupperware container with no lid and toilet paper lining (not scented and soft!) and out of direct sulight.
They will also be with me all the time so they can be fed, and I will be setting my phone to go off every 2 hours so I can feed them.
I will also be using a warm damp Q Tip to rub their bellies to go to the bathroom :)

I'm going to do all I can for these little guys.

I can also post pictures of them tonight to see if anyone can guess theyre approximate age. Im thinking they are about a week old or so.

morganshow11 07-26-2009 09:40 PM

Oh ok. I want to see pics!