The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New bit for welsh cob (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-bit-welsh-cob-32484/)

murrayhallbuccaneer 07-26-2009 08:04 AM

New bit for welsh cob

hey

my welsh cob buck is currently being ridden in a kimberwick bit with a curb chain, or a d ring single jointed snaffle, the snaffle he just takes control and will run off, the kimberwick he really leans on it. i was wondering what bit i should get him, as im borrowing these bits for him i wanted to buy my own, and want to get the best i can for him, since he is quite strong when he wants to be, and doesnt seem to have a mouth, he was very over schooled before i had him and i just want something i can get him to listen with, i cant be running around with a too mild a bit or being leaned on with whatever makes him lean ha..

i was thinking maybe a waterford bit but i think ill be asking you guys first.

Sunny06 07-26-2009 12:50 PM

Maybe a pelham? They are great because you have the ability to have an 'emergency brake' with the curb rein, and normal riding with the snaffle rein. I have you now, and I like it. :)

murrayhallbuccaneer 07-27-2009 12:30 PM

ill have a think about that one haha :) i was thinking that but my boss dont like them, then again she never rode my horse when she had him anyway. just turfed out in a field most of the time poor boy

Sunny06 07-27-2009 12:33 PM

Well, if he does well with the kimbewick, then I'd say just use it. It's got some leverage action so it can help get his head up and back off it.
Have you ruled out all medical/skeletal issues?

murrayhallbuccaneer 07-27-2009 02:45 PM

yep he used to be shown alot and was ridden in alsorts of bits uncluding pelhams and double bridles etc. he just got turfed out and got fat and unfit, so he started in a snaffle, then i was told to use the kimberwick, and now he takes off in the snaffle and leams on kimberwick,

i like the look of the waterford pelham, as he likes chains in his mouth, i guess the texture is nice to play around with, maybe even a normal waterford would be okay,

Sunny06 07-27-2009 02:56 PM

Make sure you get as much information about it as possible before you buy it. There's nothing worse than having $50 bits hanging around in your tack room collecting dust with no use.

murrayhallbuccaneer 07-27-2009 03:15 PM

i would guess as much haha