The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Is this reasonable? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/reasonable-32486/)

Current Displeasure 07-26-2009 08:35 AM

Is this reasonable?

A nineteen year old girl at my barn claims to be a horse psychic. She massaged one of the stallions who is known to be wily and tempermental, and she put him right to sleep. I wanted Colby to be as relaxed as he, so I asked her how much she was charging. "Three hundred and fifty dollars an hour," She told me. She also offered no half-hour sessions, no refunds, and no discounts.

I'm not an expert on equine massage, but her prices sounded unreasonable to me. How much do you think a massage should cost, if it is a one-hour session? How much would YOU pay?

Like I said - her methods put horses to sleep; it must work.

PaintHorseMares 07-26-2009 08:45 AM

Equine messages go for about $60/horse around here.

Current Displeasure 07-26-2009 08:50 AM

Oh wow. See what I mean about unreasonable?!

Jake and Dai 07-26-2009 08:57 AM

That sounds awfully insane to me.

Bronco Hollow 07-26-2009 12:02 PM

I just don't buy into the horse psychic thing at all ~ JMO I know a lot of folks that do.

60 to 70 bucks for a session here of massage or chiropractic.
BTW whenever I have either work on our horses, it relaxes them so they do appear to be asleep. I wouldn't consider any psychic-ness about it...

Tennessee 07-26-2009 12:53 PM

The girl that does our horses is $50 a session. $40 for multiple horses.

PassionHorse 07-26-2009 12:53 PM

I don't think we have a horse massager around here, but I would never pay that much.

Brighteyes 07-26-2009 01:00 PM

Not to be ignorant or anything, but what exactly does a horse masseuse do? I have a leather pillow type thing that I massage my horse with sometimes, is it similar?

Oh, and I think that no massage is worth that much. 50/60 bucks sure, but not that much...

TroubledTB 07-27-2009 04:32 PM

I think an at home massage would go from 50 - 100 at home and maybe 150-250 on the road at a show maybe with magnetic therapy. I've paid a horse psychic I think twenty bucks to read my horse, and she was good. She kept insisting my 3 yr old had shown halter, and I insisted that my horse was english and she never showed halter. She really strongly told me my horse went some where, got her hair done, stood in front of the judges, and really liked it. Only then did I recognize the fact that she had been shown in the hunter breeding, once. I was pretty taken aback at how very right she was, and had to argue with me about it. Anyways, she also said she was a very mature filly, which would be reasonable, I hand raised her and she was the only project I had, but the psychic didn't know that. So our combined total at an A circuit show for a pyschic/massues is 270? at most? But I have heard of famous barns employing psychics, with interesting success stories, so her gift for reading horses may be better than her business skills.

Spastic_Dove 07-27-2009 06:50 PM

Is she charging that much because she is a "psychic"?
Chiropractic/Massage therapy goes for about $60 a session here...he usually falls asleep during anything and this is one of those things lol