The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Looking for lessons. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/looking-lessons-32493/)

ilovemyPhillip 07-26-2009 11:13 AM

Looking for lessons.

Hi,
I've been look for lessons in Dressage for a while now, and ere is the closest barn to my farm.
Christina Morris Dressage - CMD Services

She is about and hour from me. Maybe more maybe less. I'd be interested in taking my pony along with me, so we both can get "trained". What do y'all think about this place?

Oh and just for reference, this is the pony i would be trailering. :D

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0231.jpg

Beau Baby 07-26-2009 09:56 PM

She sounds pretty good, considering all the training she has had, and who she's trained with. I definitely think you should try her. Although her price to me isn't right. Her trailer in lessons are $50 for 45 minutes. To me that isn't really fair. My instructor qualified for the olympics and would have gone if somebody with better political connections hadn't gone. She charges $45 for an hour, using her horse.

Other then that definitely give her a try. Good luck.

ilovemyPhillip 07-26-2009 11:40 PM

i thought her pricing wasnt right either. On top of tailering and hour away, lesson price, i think you have to pay for your own horse to be there, and buting a dressage saddle is going to add up. While im at it ill probably get a bridle too because his is older and a bit small. Aaah its so expensive! lol.

Thank you btw :)

Valentina 07-27-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 361645)
Although her price to me isn't right. Her trailer in lessons are $50 for 45 minutes. To me that isn't really fair.

Price depends on where you are located in the US - With pro's I have paid upwards of $200/hour on my horse at their barn - which means trailoring at least 1 hour away. My local trainer is $50 per hour and she adds a travel fee on top of that - depending on how far away your place is from her. If you trailer in, since she doesn't own the barn she trains at, it costs an additional $10 to the barn owner to cover insurance, etc.

So the first principal is find the best fit for a trainer for you and your horse. I suggest you "audit" her training someone, specifically at or near your riding level, BEFORE you take a lesson with her. That way you can make sure that you can learn from her and her style of teaching fits your style of learning.

ilovemyPhillip 07-27-2009 02:45 PM

ok, thank you.

Still looking for feedback :)

kitten_Val 07-29-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 361645)
She sounds pretty good, considering all the training she has had, and who she's trained with. I definitely think you should try her. Although her price to me isn't right. Her trailer in lessons are $50 for 45 minutes.

It's a very good price for the GOOD trainer in VA and MD. The crappy ones (I run into such) charge about the same if not more (and teach nothing). I know for dressage the price can easily be $80/hour in good barn around here (I'm in MD though, not VA).

I don't know her, but the facility, pics, and services on website look really nice, so personally I'd give her a try at least once.

farmpony84 07-29-2009 10:04 AM

There aren't alot of dressage people in our area are there? I know you can go towards woodbridge... What about Tamarack? A friend of mine took lessons there for a while and loved it...

Riding Lessons

farmpony84 07-29-2009 10:10 AM

...and this girl does hunters but she's a good friend of mine and she does really well with her students...

Virginia Equestrian.com

kitten_Val 07-29-2009 11:37 AM

Hmmm, Farmpony, are you in VA as well? :lol:

farmpony84 07-29-2009 11:37 AM

yeah and if I remember correctly... me and ilovemyphillip are very close by...