The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Here is Troy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/here-troy-3250/)

keithturner 09-07-2007 09:37 PM

Here is Troy

This our actual first horse.. He gets along well with my pa-in-law's mare and colt. He is absolutely beautiful and extremely loving and friendly. The lady I bought him from said he is American Saddlebred. We got him with all tack and synthetic barrell saddle for $500...http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1896_DSC03331_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1896_DSC03340_1.jpg

Tessa Bear 09-09-2007 02:09 AM

wow it looks like you have a really harsh but in his mouth and a tie down on him....

makes me think you don't think hes safe?

keithturner 09-09-2007 09:32 AM

That is the bit that came with him. My neighbor said that is the one that is supposed to be on him. It is a bit for gaited horses. The tie down was suggested until we get really comfortable riding. He is teaching us alot of things. My neighbor and his wife say he has a perfect gait and they loved it when they got on him. He listens really well so hopefully soon I can take the tie down off. I dont like the way it looks. I also want to be confident enough to take the halter off when I put on the bridle. It is all a learning process.

Kiki 09-09-2007 06:38 PM

Yeah they are kind of harsh........

Have you tried riding him without them??

keithturner 09-09-2007 09:54 PM

not yet, though i have been thinking about it because the people we bought him from rode him bareback sometimes. We found out today what the previous owners meant by "a little hard-headed"...

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-09-2007 11:36 PM

ok you bought another horse with out really knowing any thing about horses?, and relying on what your nieghbor tell's you?....not to be rude but.........it might of be wise to take lesson's before jumping in to this......and yes i agree with every one else your horse have a very harsh bit and something a begginer should not be dealing with....btw that halter looks way to tight

meggymoo 09-10-2007 06:38 AM

Hi Keith,

He looks nice, cute face. Troy's a good name, suits him too. :)

I'm afraid I dont know much about western style/tack, I ride english, so I dont quite understand the tie down. :? Is it similar to a English Martingale?

I think its lovely that you have family and friends who can help and advise you. Everyone needs support, and I know from experience you will be on a steep learning curve for a while, but its going to be so worth it and you'll have such fun along the way. :wink:

Good luck with him and keep us posted. :wink:

kitten_Val 09-10-2007 10:19 AM

I think he looks like he costs way more than $500. :) Nice horse!

As for tack I'd recommend to remove the tie down: it won't help much if he decide to do something bad, plus some horses don't like it too.

keithturner 09-10-2007 06:02 PM

Thank you Ms Meggymoo. It is nice to see some encouragement rather than negativity from people who forget that they were once beginners as well.
I am learning ALOT and I mean alot about horses as far as training, riding, care, and I even started working with his hooves today. He is a very good boy and loves attention. He likes the kids more than he likes me though. lol... Alot of fun!!! My father-in-law just bought a mare and a colt and the three are almost like best buddies already. We are going to saddle the mare and Troy this week and go riding with my neighbor. I go every Thursday night to the local arena and ride his horses and he is teaching me about basic techniques and it will not be long before I am cutting cattle, hopefully. They also have team penning every other Saturday and that has been a blast.

The best thing so far about "jumping in without knowing much" is that my wife, my kids, my in laws and I are all getting alot closer not only to the horses, but to each other. There is alot going on with all of us right now and these horses are the best thing we have going on right now.

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-10-2007 07:19 PM

keith we all own horses here because we took years of ridding lesson beofre jumping in and buying one....i did not wake up one day and thought it was a good day to buy a horse and learn later...i'm not trying to be mean i'm just concerned...troy look's like a great horse but did you ask your self why she sold you him at a low price?, did you have a coggins and vet check on troy or even have him x-ray?, some people out the will take any one for a ride and not on a horse, we had a newbie who thought she knew every thing in our barn and bought her first horse, shipped it in that night and it was dead by morning, yes dead by morning, because she did not vet check it she asumed she was buying a healthy 3 year old on good faith of what the seller was saying, the vet came that moring to inpect the body and said that the horse was in it's mid 30's, boy did that seller go in to hidding fast, $2,500 down the drain also, you also have to ask your self how well you know this person in order to buy a really good looking horse at that price, did you find out all of his history?, i've been around horses for over 30 years and by no means am i a pro, i would love to try team pennning and barrel racing but can't get back in to the saddle before late april of 08.