The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What Bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-bit-32514/)

FGRanch 07-26-2009 04:32 PM

What Bit?

What bit do you guys you when starting a colt for the first time? And why?

Grizelda 07-26-2009 05:32 PM

my mare was started in a happy mouth loose ring snaffle, simply because you never want to start something in a strong bit cause it will make them harder in the mouth. Now just cause you start them in such a soft bit doesnt make that bit the "one" for them. you can change it when they get older. but why not start them in a soft bit like that so they learn to like the bit and maybe they will never need a stronger bit in their life

FGRanch 07-26-2009 05:44 PM

Agree with ever word...I just want to know why some people start their horses in shank bits.

Sunny06 07-26-2009 05:45 PM

Not just to avoid a hard mouth, but it's always nice to have a horse with an easy bit, and that they listen to it as well. Not good to have a bad bit shoved into their mouth at 3 years old.

Sunny06 07-26-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 361429)
Agree with ever word...I just want to know why some people start their horses in shank bits.

Because they are inexperienced. I hate that, though. You can ruin a good horse that way.

Diegosmom 07-26-2009 05:54 PM

Quick questian what bit do tall recommend for a 5 year old paint

Zab 07-26-2009 05:57 PM

A cavesson (riding model :P with a plain nose-iron, no joints or chains) and after that a muserola (pretty much the same thing but without the extra ring on top of the nose, and it's put in the regular bridle).
Because that saves his mouth completely untill he has learnt to listen to the rider and reins. It's not more gentle on him, but the mouth stays sensetive and it's easier for a young horse to understand preassure on the nose (since it's already used to a halter and has learnt to stop for that) than in it's mouth.

Then we rode with a muserola and a spanish curb together for a while, to teach him a few things about yielding (again, a curb is easier to understand when it's about yielding forward and down for the rein, while a snaffle or muserola is easier for stopping and flexing, which is why no horse that's not very well educated should have a curb/shank/hackamore alone).

Now he's ridden wih a regular snaffle. Or a halter.. or a riding cavesson.. or the curb, or the hackamore....or whatever I feel like. But usualy thew snaffle or the halter.

Sunny06 07-26-2009 05:57 PM

Nevermind everybody, sorry!

Zab 07-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diegosmom (Post 361438)

How far has it come in it's education?
What does it do? What's the problem? How much can it do nicely already?

Sunny06 07-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diegosmom (Post 361438)

Umm.. More info please?