The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   help, dont know what this saddle is!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-dont-know-what-saddle-32522/)

bainnes babies 07-26-2009 05:47 PM

help, dont know what this saddle is!!!!

Hi. I was given this saddle, but know nothing about it!!! I've never even seen a western saddle before...it seens to have a huge amount of detail and work gone into the making of it...the main frame of it is wood...with lots and lots of inlaid shell detail, there are someones initials in the top of the horn too....so it was probably hand made for someone....i dont even know if it is american or austrailan, or even south african.....I am probably just going to sell it as i have no interest in using it, but have no idea what it is worth....
Does anyone have any idea?? sorry the picture is so big..it wont let me resize...

http://www.mountainviewstables.eu/0_...12974420462500

Scoutrider 07-26-2009 05:58 PM

:shock::DWow! That's a find!

The design is very similar to the old fashioned Mexican version of an American Western saddle, I would guess that this is probably a custom or semi-custom reproduction. Probably worth quite a bit, but I'm not too familiar with the going prices for saddles like that. Is there a brand stamped on it anywhere?

Very cool!

Sunny06 07-26-2009 06:01 PM

My guess is a pretty penny ;)

bainnes babies 07-26-2009 06:10 PM

i must look for a brand, didn't notice any but i will look again tomorrow, I dont know what to do with it!! it's collecting dust, and i have to keep cleaning it!! was thinking about putting it on ebay...but i dont even know where to start with a price. I'm not even that interested in getting huge money for it, but would just hate to sell it for $xx and then see it back on ebay for $xxxxx !!!!!!!!!!!!!

luvs2ride1979 07-26-2009 06:29 PM

I agree, a Mexican Charro or Spanish Bull Fighting type saddle. It looks like a good quality, hand-made saddle. If so, I'd say it's worth something like $800-2,500, depending on the quality and brand, if any.

I would clean it with a soft toothbrush and Lexol cleaner or castile soap (available at the grocery store or drug store, in the laundry isle). Use very small circular motions with the toothbrush to lift out the dirt and grime. Rinse with warm water and wipe clean, let dry. Clean again if there is still more dirt. Keep cleaning, GENTLY, until it all lifts up. Do NOT scrub the leather with a sponge or the toothbrush. You can ruin the finish of the leather and strip the color.

Use some baking soda with water (to make a paste) for the white sections and metal. Store it on a barrel or saddle rack with LOTS of blankets on it, to help spread the skirts and packs back out.

Use Passier Lederbalsam on all of the leather, both sides. If it soaks it all in by the next day, put on another coat. Apply it using your hands, to warm it and help it soak in to the leather. Passier's conditioner is really good for leather, won't weaken it or the stitching, and after it's dry you can buff it to a nice glow (use a soft cloth or sheepskin/fleece scrap).

Liberty Valance 07-26-2009 06:32 PM

It's a Mexican Charro saddle!!!! They're actually specifically designed for the working cowboy, and people who are just pleasure riders or trail riders would probably find it uncomfortable. They're pretty rare, too. Depending on the quality and the condition, they can go anywhere from $600-$4000. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, though, because unfortunately the wholesalers have gotten their grubby hands on these blueprints, too, and there are a lot of really cheap knock-offs beginning to flood the market.

Check out this article:
Antiques magazine EL antiQuario, the magazine

bainnes babies 07-26-2009 06:47 PM

cool thanks guys!!!

luvs2ride1979 07-26-2009 06:53 PM

Here are some:

Casa Zia Brown Charro Saddle w/matching Tack
East Valley Feed &*Tack - Charro Saddle Set - el-cheapo saddle, lol.

OOooooh! Here's one that looks a lot like yours that was appraised at $6,000-8,000!
Roadshow Archive | 20th-Century Mexican Charro Saddle

I would email this place with photos (some close-ups/detailed) and ask them if they might know the saddle's age and origin.
Saddles & Charro Gear

bainnes babies 07-26-2009 07:04 PM

gosh that other one is stunning....i'll be definatly taking a much better look at mine in the morning, and think i better cover it and care for it a bit better!!! Just in case!!! LOL!!!
Thanks everyone,gosh i've had the bloody thing for about 2 years, and i had to move it out of the way again today...I'm glad i did now, if for no other reason than I have learned a lot today about saddles other than english ones!!!!!