The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   My first fall! *almost* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/my-first-fall-%2Aalmost%2A-32587/)

cheply 07-27-2009 04:31 PM

My first fall! *almost*

Hello everyone.
I'm brand new on the forum.
my name is Kelsey-Rae and I'm from British Columbia, Canada :)
and I'm a fairly new rider

and I had my first fall this Saturday!! .. well.. almost.
I was trotting on a lunge bareback and there were two other horses in the ring riding around the perimetre.
Well, they came too close to eachother as I was coming up to them on my lunge circle.. which spooked the horse I was riding.. and she bolted into a canter... which I am not even stable with in a saddle. So I .. in an effort to stay on .. sqeezed with my legs (oops).. well she began going even faster and at that point I was half hanging off, with my one leg hanging on the outside of the circle and my arms around her neck. and the other leg half over her back. haha. well she began to slow down and started walking backwards toward the fence, spooked once again cause the saddle pad I was riding on fell off and hit her back hoof. But when she slowed down I was able to pull myself back on... So, I guess I didn't actually fall.. but it was my first "accident" on a horse.

Pretty exciting for me.. Luckily it was at the end of my lesson.
.. I hope I don't have to ride bareback again for a while..

SabreBaby 07-27-2009 05:47 PM

Sounds like that was scary!! If you keep riding though, there will be plenty more where that came from!! I can't begin to count how many times I've fallen off! Mostly just because I was trying something stupid. :)

PoptartShop 07-27-2009 06:47 PM

Oooh, that sounds pretty scary! :O Ah, I've had a fall similar to that...I don't like when the leg is just hanging there, it's so scary! Once my foot got caught in the stirrup, & my old horse Lexi ran off. Whew...scary falls stink! :(

MyBoyPuck 07-27-2009 10:14 PM

Wow, good save! It's not a fall until you hit the ground! Glad to hear you're spending so much time working on your seat. You'll fall off much less in the long run if you build a solid foundation up front. Wish more people rode that way.

mom2pride 07-27-2009 10:47 PM

That's actually pretty fantastic that you stayed on, and saved your fall! Kudos! :D Scarey, sure...but you've got some balance to be able to do that; you'll be a fine rider for sure! And as the others have said...first, and certainly not last...