The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   True Cost of Owning a Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/true-cost-owning-horse-32590/)

kathryn 07-27-2009 04:33 PM

True Cost of Owning a Horse

So I am looking for a horse to lease to bring to my barn to keep there, I am going to try to work it out with the owner so they pay emergency fees and I'll see if I can get vet or ferrier out of them too. But assuming I dont, how much do you think this horse would cost me per month or per two months or whatever is easiest for you to calculate? With and without shoes?

The board where I will keep my horse is 275 a month. Everything is included except for supplements. So if you can try to base your prices around that... I guess.

How much do you think that a horse would run me per month, realistically? Assuming nothing goes wrong. I am just trying to get a rough idea to see if I can afford it. :)

farmpony84 07-27-2009 04:51 PM

if $275 is full board then that is feed/hay and general care.
Farrier is roughly $60 for front shoes (aluminum) every 6 weeks
Vet (shots) is about $150ish per horse for six months depending on what you get. (I get everything twice a year - coggins once). My farm call fee is $75 (it's added to the bill)

Emergency calls will generally cost you around $250 per call (basic stitches type stuff). Worse injuries and illnesses can cost more. I had a $6000 vet call once... but that's rare.

Salt blocks for the stall are about $3 and depending on the horse last a couple weeks....

fly spray is about $20 a month if you mix...

Am I missing anything? Basics-wise

hotreddun 07-27-2009 04:54 PM

If you manage to find an owner to lease you a horse where they pay emergencies, vet and farrier...PLEASE GIVE ME THEIR NUMBER BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A SWEET DEAL!

There is a very slim chance that will happen going by all the leases I've ever heard of. Partial leases the owner will buy more but the horse stays at their place and you only have access a few days a week. Full leases you pay a "rental" fee for the lease term per month usually. Vet bills can be $150-200 a year for regular stuff. Farrier is $30-150 every 4 to 8 weeks...price depends on bare/shod...farrier quality...lots of stuff. Emergencies...well...my horse just colicked and it cost me $479. He had an abscess a week ago...that cost me $270 for xrays, etc.

farmpony84 07-27-2009 04:56 PM

...I wish I had someone near me. I'd let them ride my horse free at my barn... just to get him ridden... (2 of them...).... Can you believe how hard it is to find teenagers that want that? They are so spoiled now... they all have their own... no poor kids out there begging to ride... sux man....

kathryn 07-27-2009 05:22 PM

Farmpony I wish I lived near you! I'd totally do it!

So my friend said it comes to just under 400 per month for her, but her horse has all 4 shoes.

Fly spray I dont have to worry about because my mom will buy the materials to make our own.

So 60 per six weeks would be... 40 per month. 315. Plus 150 divided by six... 25. 350.

350 I could possibly do. I just need to figure out my income during the school year.

Lessons would make it 480 a month. Mergh. Tis a lot. But only 150 more than I pay right now... so I have to keep that in mind before I get all discouraged.

So 60 dollars a week is what will be more than what I think I will be earning during volleyball season during the school year. Now I gotta brain storm haha

kathryn 07-27-2009 06:08 PM

I just remembered atleast another 75 a month for shows. But also I forgot that I usually make around 50 a week babysitting. But whether or not I babysit varies by week.

I think the key to this is getting my parents to help me pay. Which involves me controlling my temper... hmm need to find a way to do this... haha any tips?

farmpony84 07-28-2009 02:32 PM

its too bad you arent closer to me... sniff.... i'm going to offer a couple of mine to a 13 year old that i know.

kathryn 07-28-2009 03:19 PM

I found a horse that I could free lease for as long as I wanted, who doesnt wear shoes! The only catch is I can't take the horse until September, and her owner doesn't know if she can hold onto her until then. :(

farmpony84 07-28-2009 03:21 PM

not cool! There is bound to be something out there though...

kathryn 07-28-2009 03:35 PM

I'm lookin' I'm lookin' haha. I must have sent out emails about 10 diffferent horses, one of them has got to work out. And it turns out the girl with the mare I was looking at is my age, and she says she'll do everything she can to help me out. :) She seems really nice and said that even if she does sell this horse, she'll keep looking for another for me. :)