The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   horses and other animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/horses-other-animals-32593/)

kko 07-27-2009 04:40 PM

horses and other animals

what animals do you have? are they kept in the same barn as your horses or do they have their own barn? how do the other animals and the horses react to eachother? etc. cows, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, pigs, chickens..... also donkeys, mini horses, and ponies. thanks.

ilovemyPhillip 07-28-2009 12:08 AM

My horses and ponies live together. The dogs like the horses but the ponies dont like the dogs. My goats are separated... but when together they tolerate each other xD

Angel_Leaguer 07-29-2009 11:00 AM

when i was living at my dads we had all sorts of critters (sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, etc) while they shared the same barn they never shared the same pen. Everything got its own type of feed and it would not have been good if the horses would have gotten into the concentrated pellets- nor all the corn that the cattle got.

Also I used to have a mare that I would use for gaming and team penning and if a calf ever got in a pen with her she would chase it down.

RubaiyateBandit 07-31-2009 04:24 PM

We have cattle, two dogs, a few cats, and a rabbit. The horses' main pasture is well away from any cattle, and their secondary pasture shares a fence with the neighbor's Holsteins. They don't seem to mind each other much.
My older dog (Dazy) is afraid of the horses, and my younger one (Moco) loves them; The horses don't seem to care what the dogs are doing, except Bandit and Dante, who like to chase Dazy around.
The cats and horses are in a 'You stay out of my way, I'll stay out of yours' relationship.
And my one rabbit, for whatever reason, is in love with Bandit and Dante, while my mare, Ruby, seems to believe that rabbits can be herded like cattle. 0_o Whenever she sees a rabbit hopping around, she tracks it like those horses that work calves. But she can't work cattle to save her life. XD

ilovemyPhillip 08-03-2009 01:28 AM

** and my rabbit lives with the goats :)

Lonestar22 08-19-2009 11:32 AM

my dogs love to chase anything that moves, our cats cows horses and goat. except the goat doesnt run she head butts. lol. the donkey likes to chase the dogs. our horses and cows live together and they pretty much leave each other alone. the donkey is part of the horse herd. my cats and dogs get along pretty well. sometimes they sleep together.