The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Trail riding injury (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/trail-riding-injury-3265/)

AKPaintLover 09-09-2007 07:04 AM

Trail riding injury

I just had a really bad day :(

I was out riding Dez, exploring new trails. We were walking along the side of a road in some brush, and he stumbled as we went down a small hill next to a cross road. We rode about another quarter mile when I got off. I noticed that Dez (with his white legs) had blood all over his front right pastern. There was even blood spatter all the way up his back stocking. I took him to a friends house who provided me with a phone to call the vet and my house for a horse trailer. She also helped me clean and wrap the leg. He had a clean, but deep cut (through all skin and some tendon) right below his fetlock. We got him home in the trailer, the vet came, stitched him, put him on antibiotics, and $505 later, said the prognosis looked good...He should be as good as new in a couple of weeks when the stitches come out.

He was such an awesome boy through this whole thing, I am feeling pretty bad because I am pretty sure from the look of the cut, and the stumble on the side of the road in the brush that he hit a colvurt! He is so good, he always goes just where I say, and then I get him hurt :( I am glad is was not any worse, and did not seem to damage anything vital! Thanks for reading guys...I am just feeling really bummed about this. I hate when my babies get hurt (especially when it is my fault)

I was planning on starting our winter training following the show season, but now he is on bed rest to try to keep his stitches from ripping and opening the injury.

Anyone have ideas for some education, fun, and/or bonding I could do with him that would not require more than his natural movement??

kitten_Val 09-10-2007 07:20 AM

Sorry to hear about that! Cuts are always such a pain...

When mine had cuts (could work with her), I usually brought her in round pen and played with her in something like chasing a big ball or small tennis balls (she loved those). Or making funny noises (with plastic) etc.

nurse_in_boots 09-10-2007 12:23 PM

So sorry for your horse's injury :(, try not to be too hard on yourself, accidents happen to the best of us.

I do carrot stretches with my horses daily, getting them to stretch their necks down and to both sides without moving their bodies. That is something that will keep your horse flexible but not require anything that will hurt the injury. Also, lots and lots of grooming will help you two bond. Just think, you might not get lots of winter training done, but you will have the shiniest horse come spring!