The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Just wanted to share! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/just-wanted-share-32651/)

aruraeclipse 07-28-2009 10:20 AM

Just wanted to share!

Wanted to share with everyone, working with Rhiszo, thought we'd do a gallop yesterday and we clocked him at 42km/h, he isn't really in shape (don't worry he was warmed up) I was pretty excited, he wasn't trying, and he wasn't full out, I just can't wait to see with more work what he'll be able to do! Just was happy, and wanted to share with everyone!
Take care, and thanks for listening!

Vidaloco 07-28-2009 10:32 AM

That seems pretty fast to me. Are you going to race him?

aruraeclipse 07-28-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 362798)
That seems pretty fast to me. Are you going to race him?

Yes for barrel racing, I am going through the horsemanship stage right now, and I decided to sprint/breeze him just to see what he could do. He made me happy:) we go on a lot of trail rides with him right now, he loves doing all sorts of things! I always change it up so that he doesn't get bored:)

Jillyann 07-28-2009 01:02 PM

Just be careful. Barrel racing isnt all about going as fast as you can, well in some ways. you still have to have alot of control too.

aruraeclipse 07-28-2009 01:06 PM

:) oh I know, I have good control over his body, I just wanted us to have fun so its not all work work work, and just let him go, he knows by my body language when to slow down. A lot of work is done at the walk and trot, but once and a while they need to know what running does feel like so that they get use to that feeling with someone on his back, what the balance feels like and so on, and that was the first time for him to gallop with someone on his back, he's a great little boy. :) it was soo fun!

Jillyann 07-28-2009 01:10 PM

Awe. thats really nice. I know what you mean about having a horse be off balance the first time someone is on them and they are full out. thats how my mare was. hah

aruraeclipse 07-28-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillyann (Post 362966)
Awe. thats really nice. I know what you mean about having a horse be off balance the first time someone is on them and they are full out. thats how my mare was. hah

It surprisingly happens a lot, and when people go to race for the first time, they don't realize that the horse doesn't know what your going to feel like at that speed, so its a surprise to them, and they don't like that so much, sometimes that's how people get the bucking problems when the horses aren't slowly introduced. But horses do get over it pretty quick for the most part, Rhiszo has just been one big surprise after another, showing me what he can do. he has such a big heart to please, he isn't as good on the ground as he is in the saddle, he has one of those weird picky attitude's but once your in the saddle, its like what do you want to do next, he finds it so fun, he's so happy when he's "working" , I broke him, and left him green broke for about 2 years, and all of a sudden got back on and he just picked up even better than he left off, and I didn't understand how, but I'm very great-full and its proof that horses don't forget. I have a mare Eclipse and she was green broke when I got here and I don't know what they did, its a lot of conditioning with her, because she's very nervous when you get on her back just to sit there, she starts getting the sweats, so its been a lot!!!! of walking and confidence building for her, poor girl, I really do wonder what she has been through because you can't nudge her sides to go, she lurches, and hops, she doesn't try to keep going, its like she forgets what she's doing for a moment, and realizes that its not so bad, I finally got her to do a nice calm trot yesterday after 1h of walking, but she did great. Its been an interesting road with these two horses, but I love it to death! well worth the show as some say. Great adventures.

dashygirl 07-29-2009 12:58 PM

That's quick, good luck with the barrels!

aruraeclipse 07-29-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashygirl (Post 363748)
That's quick, good luck with the barrels!

Thank you very much dashygirl, much-ly appreciated.