The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New boots - gone.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-boots-gone-32652/)

kitten_Val 07-28-2009 11:35 AM

New boots - gone....

Just need to vent... Got new boots to ride from Dover about month ago. Just started using them last week (yes, it's always too hard ofr me to start using NEW things lol!). Used them only 3 times in ring, and yesterday when I unmounted I found out zipper is broke completely. Can't even think how that happened...:-( Argh..... Hopefully, Dover will exchange them!

Regarding this problem... Is it something normal for zip boots? I never used zip one before the last week. Is it better to go with lace?

Jillyann 07-28-2009 11:38 AM

I never buy zipper boots for just that reason. :-( I always buy lace up boots, because you can just buy a new string if one breaks, or whatever. And you can tighten them to how tight you like, or, just have them be loose. I am sorry to hear about your boots though! I hope dover will exchange them.

PoptartShop 07-28-2009 11:49 AM

Ugh; what kind are they? I had a pair of Devon Aires that lasted not even a year; the zipper broke. :( You might be able to get them fixed, though.
I'd recommend Ariats. They have a warantee, & they are much better quality.

Jillyann 07-28-2009 12:17 PM

My boots right now are Dublin, and I have had them for over 4 years, and there is NOTHING wrong with them besides a little fraying on one of the laces. And I have ridden in them about 6000 times. hah they are holding up VERY well!

kitten_Val 07-28-2009 01:23 PM

Thanks for sharing, folks! I believe it's Ariat from what I remember at the moment. I think I gonna go there on Sat and try to exchange to the lace ones.

Jillyann 07-28-2009 01:25 PM

That might be a good idea!

Sophie19 07-28-2009 01:33 PM

I always buy lace ups. I bought a couple zipper pairs and they lasted about one third of the time a good pair of lace ups last. So now I have learned my lesson. Lace up Ariats and nothing else.

JadedEyes 07-28-2009 02:29 PM

That's funny. I have always bought zippers because I like the ease of putting them on. I have had my two sets of current boots for about 4 years and never had a problem with the zippers. They have held up through everything. Hmmm...you must have just gotten a dud.

They are ariats and the other one is an ovation boot. I'm sorry to hear about that though.

Scoutrider 07-28-2009 03:12 PM

I positively live in zip-up paddock boots, the cheapest, cheesiest brands out there, and I've never had a zipper break. Usually the sole falls off before the zipper gives a hiccup, lol. I just got a pair of Dublin field boots with the zipper this spring, and they are also holding up well (broke in but being babied due to my inability to buy new good tall boots anytime soon, ha ha). Maybe when my ship comes in I can get a set of Ariats (A gal can deam, can't she?? :lol:). Sorry yours didn't hold up, kitten_Val, I hope you can exchange them.

kathryn 07-28-2009 03:22 PM

I have back zip Ariats and I adore them. They're great, you must have just gotten a bum pair :(