The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dry Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dry-saddle-326698/)

HeroMyOttb 12-10-2013 01:40 PM

Dry Saddle

I acquired a western saddle that fits me and my horse very well!

It's a nice saddle but was forgotten about for years.

It is in decent condition but it dry and stiff.

What are the best and quick ways to get the saddle to soften up?

boots 12-10-2013 08:03 PM

Oil. I like both neatsfoot oil and olive oil. I have also used Leather Crème. If the leather is warm it will absorb more and more quickly.

6gun Kid 12-12-2013 01:44 AM

While I am not one to brand shop, and truly use whatever neatsfoot oil I can find. When i come across one that is really dry and stiff. I go with this stuff, it is expensive but a little bit goes a long long way.
Leather Conditioner | Leather Care Products | Leather Honey for Leather Furniture

I have brought leather goods that many thought were beyond salvage back from the dead with this stuff.

tinyliny 12-12-2013 03:26 AM

That's good to know. The only thing I know is if you use neats foot oil, use pure neat foot oil.

6gun, I've heard of people wetting a saddle with water BEFORE putting on the oil. Does that seem odd?

6gun Kid 12-12-2013 04:26 PM

Sounds backwards to me since oil and water repel each other
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 12-12-2013 05:17 PM

I've never wet a saddle just before I put the oil on, but I've used gentle soap and water to scrub off old grimy dirt before oiling. However, I always let the saddle dry in the sun after the scrubbing and then oil it with warm oil while it's still out there.

Clean saddle + sunshine to warm the leather and oil both = lots of oil absorbed and saddle moisturized and softened.

I agree with others, 100% pure Neatsfoot oil (avoid the compound) is what I use on all my tack.

sorral3 12-12-2013 05:55 PM

for new leather or in your case, old forgotten leather I use olive oil. It is lighter and absorbs faster, leaving less residue. You need to condition the leather to accept the oil, I have found going straight to neetsfoot oil doesn't do as good a job at first. it is also cheap and most folks have it in the pantry.

GamingGrrl 12-12-2013 07:07 PM

Coconut oil works great for softening and adding shine to leather. I use it for my show tack, and have even tried it on a cheapo $30 stiff as a board leather halter and it softened it up considerably.
Posted via Mobile Device

Allison Finch 12-12-2013 07:51 PM

I use pure neatsfoot oil....not the compound. I will put it in the microwave to heat it up, then use a sponge brush to paint it on until it no longer soaks in. A really dry saddle will take MANY coats!! Then, after I let it sit for a couple of days, I will take a bar of Glycerin saddle soap, put only enough water in a sponge to barely put the soap on the sponge (if it foams at all, there is too much water on the spong). Then I rub this in well. This will soften the leather and seal it so that the moisture is not lost.

SaskGal 12-12-2013 07:58 PM

I use Dubbin, works good because its thick.
Posted via Mobile Device