The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Do you think this horse would do okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/do-you-think-horse-would-do-326738/)

Rideordie112 12-10-2013 03:58 PM

Do you think this horse would do okay?
 
This is my baby, Stitch. He's not a western pleasure horse, he doesn't have the low head dragging headset (I personally don't like that) but he knows how to tuck his head, collect himself and move slowly. And he's currently learning how to in a shank bit.
So I was wondering if you guys thought he would do okay in local level schooling western pleasure and equitation shows. He's a great all around riding horse, I've done English and western with him. He excels at speed events (he is a SPEED DEMON) and working cow horse, but I just was wanting to try something new. Opinions?

http://i42.tinypic.com/nccq9w.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2e4cbh3.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2jd5s79.jpg
View My Video
The video is my trainer riding him when he was first learning to collect himself 6 months ago, now he keeps his head down without any correction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 12-10-2013 04:06 PM

I don't see it. If all you are going to do is local everyone can enter? Then you could enter those, but don't see this horse doing well if anyone actually has a horse that is better built for it, bred for it or well trained for it..

Too much knee and hock action, carries tail out from body, and comes out wrong from his neck, and jog is too bouncy.

And would wonder what is going on with tail set too, as could be sign of hurting horse in back area?

Rideordie112 12-10-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 4278746)
I don't see it. If all you are going to do is local everyone can enter? Then you could enter those, but don't see this horse doing well if anyone actually has a horse that is better built for it, bred for it or well trained for it..

Too much knee and hock action, carries tail out from body, and comes out wrong from his neck, and jog is too bouncy.

And would wonder what is going on with tail set too, as could be sign of hurting horse in back area?

Okay, thanks for your opinions.
And no, he's not hurting. He's always carried his tail like that, and he gets adjustments by a chiropractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

greentree 12-10-2013 08:48 PM

Oh my, he is beautiful! He looks like he would do a pretty good dressage test to me!

Nancy

smrobs 12-10-2013 09:21 PM

He looks like a nice horse but I have to agree with Palomine, he's not a WP horse in any shape or form.

If you enter in small shows, he might do well or he might not...it will all depend on who else is in the class.

What I'm about to write, I don't want you to take personally because I'm not being derogatory toward your horse, just pointing out what I see as comparison to an ideal WP horse.

Your guy does have too much action in his legs which is creating the bouncy trot, WP horses have almost no bend in the hock or knee while they are moving. Also, just judging on this video, which is old, he's not even remotely collected. You've got the start of a headset (though, like Greentree, I see more of a dressage headset than a WP headset...too much arch in the neck and his chin is too tucked, looks to me like he's evading the bit), but his hind end is hanging way out behind him and isn't engaged at all. Add into that that he's got a naturally higher headset due to his coformation and you're going to have twice the trouble getting a flat topline from him.

By all means, keep working on his training as being trained to collect and slow his gaits will make him an all-around better horse, show the heck out of him in whatever classes you want, but don't get upset if he doesn't place in the pleasure classes.

He's just not designed for it, simple as that, but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy them :wink:.

Rideordie112 12-10-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 4280658)
Oh my, he is beautiful! He looks like he would do a pretty good dressage test to me!

Nancy

Thank you so much! I sure do love him :) And I've been told that before, actually. I just don't know anything about dressage. The only English riding I've done with him is English equitation and I'm planning on doing some hunter jumper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rideordie112 12-10-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 4280826)
He looks like a nice horse but I have to agree with Palomine, he's not a WP horse in any shape or form.

If you enter in small shows, he might do well or he might not...it will all depend on who else is in the class.

What I'm about to write, I don't want you to take personally because I'm not being derogatory toward your horse, just pointing out what I see as comparison to an ideal WP horse.

Your guy does have too much action in his legs which is creating the bouncy trot, WP horses have almost no bend in the hock or knee while they are moving. Also, just judging on this video, which is old, he's not even remotely collected. You've got the start of a headset (though, like Greentree, I see more of a dressage headset than a WP headset...too much arch in the neck and his chin is too tucked, looks to me like he's evading the bit), but his hind end is hanging way out behind him and isn't engaged at all. Add into that that he's got a naturally higher headset due to his coformation and you're going to have twice the trouble getting a flat topline from him.

By all means, keep working on his training as being trained to collect and slow his gaits will make him an all-around better horse, show the heck out of him in whatever classes you want, but don't get upset if he doesn't place in the pleasure classes.

He's just not designed for it, simple as that, but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy them :wink:.


Okay, thanks for the info! And I know he's not collecting himself in this video, when I bought him 7 months ago he was a rodeo horse who had been ridden in a tie down. He's come a long way, and now he actually collects himself. Any shows I was going to enter would all have been for fun anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

PleasureLoverxx 12-15-2013 07:40 PM

Palomine is right.. I see this horse doing more english things.. pretty horse though! about the tail thing have you wormed him? But his gait is like perfect for english! Good luck! :)

gigem88 12-15-2013 07:45 PM

He's got a nice jog trot! With a little work I think he'd do fine at your local shows. It's more about having and doing different things, keeps it interesting.

Rideordie112 12-15-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleasureLoverxx (Post 4312465)
Palomine is right.. I see this horse doing more english things.. pretty horse though! about the tail thing have you wormed him? But his gait is like perfect for english! Good luck! :)

Yes he's been wormed, I think it's just a weird quirk he has. And thank you :).
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0