The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trailer browsing/shopping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailer-browsing-shopping-327010/)

evilamc 12-10-2013 11:41 PM

Trailer browsing/shopping

Sooo I'm hoping to sell my trailer within the next few months and after tax time start really shopping for a new one.

This is my current trailer

http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/im...rge/ACF97A.JPG

Old 1989 single axle 2 horse straight load haha. Its worked well but I'm ready for something bigger. When I bought this trailer I had a small nissan frontier so I had to find something that was light enough to tow with that and under $2000 :( So this is what I ended up with! I've upgraded my truck though, to a 2010 f150 so now I want to upgrade the trailer. My horse does pretty well in this one but I'd LOVE a slant load and just kinda want something newer.

I'm in the DC area so it seems my options are: The cheaper brands, like Calico and Eclipse, the midrange, shadow, twi-lite, and then theres the super expensive ones I cant afford haha! I'd love to buy new, so that puts the calico and eclipses right up my ally for buying new and getting pretty much exactly what I want...BUT I have read some not so great reviews on both :( Not sure if anyone else would like to share about them?

Shadow and twi-lite seem decent, and I could possibly snap one up new if I'm able to get a good deal or if taxes are really nice to me ;) I'm constantly checking craigslist to see whats available too and looking in areas up to about 300 miles away (dealers too btw) I'd rather travel a little and get a good deal then end up with a complete junker :(

My price range I'd say is between 6000-9000, I'm going to be financing (not whole amount) so there may be some room to go a little more depending on how much of a down payment I save up. So I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to buy used on craigslist since I want to finance it.

So I've probably rambled MORE then enough...opinions on calico and eclipse trailers? Shadow and twi-lite? Others from this area know of good places to check with for deals?

color01 12-11-2013 06:19 AM

we bought our trailer 28ft gooseneck trailer in ruckersville, va
great people to work with.

Blue Ridge Trailers: The best horse trailers in Virginia

evilamc 12-11-2013 08:37 AM

That's actually one place I've been keeping an eye on! Thanks! Glad to hear they're good people
Posted via Mobile Device

evilamc 12-11-2013 08:40 AM

They have this one

New Homesteader Stallion for sale in Ruckersville VA | 2013 Homesteader Stallion 2H BP Slant Load with Dress Horse Trailer For Sale from Blue Ridge Trailer Sales in Ruckersville Virginia

I personally don't really like the tack area I'm back though. I wonder how hard it is to completely remove it? I'll have to look up homesteader reviews
Posted via Mobile Device

DuckDodgers 12-11-2013 10:34 AM

I've heard lots of bad reviews on both Calico and Eclipse, but I don't have any personal experience with either of them. That said, a lady at my barn has a Calico and it looks quite nice. I don't know how old it is, how well it will hold up, or if she has had any complaints with it, though.

color01 12-11-2013 06:42 PM

I went there to buy a homesteader 2H gooseneck trailer, and they really looked nice, but i was not happy with some details...so we bought a slightly used Kiefer Built 2+1 28ft gooseneck trailer...these people did everything to the trailer that we asked for...I have been to many dealers, and this one is one of the better dealers around.

horselovinguy 12-12-2013 11:36 AM

I see a lot of Calico BP and gooseneck trailers by me.
Stock, slant mainly in design. Horse trailers along with livestock stock trailers.
Used hard and often. This is cattle country... cattle going to market sales are stuffed in the local ranchers goosenecks and trucked down the road... those trailers "work" for a living!!
They appear to stand up well.

I also see many Eclipse trailers hauling down the road.

If it is any indication... I see those trailers pulling out of some pretty nice horse barns and nice properties where these people could afford what ever they want
{referring to hundreds if not thousands of acres and head of cattle and breeding horse farm operations}... they chose these as these are pretty new in manufacturing.
I truly don't think $$ was a factor in why they bought this or that, but found what they were looking for in the trailer...and all trailer brands are available by me.

Happy shopping.
:wink:

evilamc 12-12-2013 02:12 PM

Hmmm thank you for that info! I kinda like the eclipse over the calico since it's aluminum and I could get that rumbar flooring, any reviews on that haha! The calico dealer was very honest with me and said the welds def aren't as pretty as more expensive trailers but they hold. They've been selling calico's for years and haven't had anyone bring them back because of that.

I guess I'll wait a few months, see where I'm at in savings, and see what kind of deals are available. If calico is all I can afford maybe I'll check them out and see what I think or just wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

evilamc 12-12-2013 03:27 PM

So there's a few brands in the 10k range...if I'm able to talk them down or wait a little longer i could probably afford

Twi-lite
Shadow
Homesteader

Eh eh?

Left Hand Percherons 12-12-2013 05:51 PM

Why new? You can buy 2x the trailer for the same amount of money when you go used. If you can get financing through a trailer dealer, you can get it through your bank. The dealer is also going to charge over 10% and you should be able to get something closer to 5% for a personal loan. I would buy a 10 year old quality trailer over a new one any day of the week. Personally, I have no use for Calico trailers. They are under built from the tires up.

There are some nice trailers on the MD CL with good price points. Your truck "could" handle a 2H GN trailer depending upon the transmission, brakes, suspension.... but those are the same things you have to work into the equation for a BP trailer.

To answer the question about the rear tack room, the red pin at the bottom pulls up, the wall folds up and there should be another pen top and bottom on the saddle rack that release the rack. That comes out, the wall folds up and the back is open. The back doors will close without the tack room.

Keep looking.