The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Does Anyone Know What This Thing Is? (

HeelsSouth 12-10-2013 11:02 PM

Does Anyone Know What This Thing Is?
1 Attachment(s)
So I was watching one of my favorite shows, Heartland, and I noticed something odd on Spartan's bridle. It looked almost like another bit, but much smaller and with no reins attached. I have no idea what it is and was wondering if anyone here could help? Here's a screenshot.

KigerQueen 12-10-2013 11:12 PM

That is odd. Subbing.

Endiku 12-10-2013 11:37 PM

also subbing. I have no idea! It does look like another bit though...

Incitatus32 12-10-2013 11:48 PM

It looks so familiar but I can't place where I've seen it/learned about it! :( If I remember right I thought it was something to do with extra control/correction don't quote me on that though haha I could be thinking of something completely different. subbing to learn more.

smrobs 12-10-2013 11:49 PM

It looks a little like an overcheck bit to me, like they use in harness racing, but I'm not sure why it would be on a saddle horse...and not attached to anything. :?

Zilco Henry Overcheck Bit 5 inch - Online Saddlery Australia

Tracer 12-10-2013 11:58 PM

My first thought was a kind of tongue depressor. Like this maybe?

SullysRider 12-11-2013 12:06 AM

Maybe the edited out reins?

smrobs 12-11-2013 12:15 AM

Ooh, Tracer, I bet you're right! Something to keep the horse from getting his tongue over the bit probably.

ZaneyZanne123 12-11-2013 05:02 AM

TO bad we cant see inside of this horse's mouth. This looks to be a tongue depressor or a anti-lolling bit. Perhaps a modern version of the Herman Riggs anti pulling "bit" that is typicaly attached to a snaffle bit inside the mouth and helps keep the horse from leaning on it.

It is more than likely a tongue depressor (which is my first guess). This horse must be realy cheeky on getting his/her tongue over the bit. With the use of the grakle and the depressor (which most tongue depressors have a strap going from the bridle rings and under the chin to keep it in place, as shown in the photo of Tracer's post and is missing in the photo) i say is a bit of an overkill. But I have known some cheeky horses with great talents on tongue flipping over bits even with juba ports in conjuction of a dropped noseband. Actually the grakle and the anti lolling bit makes more sense in theroy.

Overcheck bits are attached to overcheck reins in carriage or driving and with ponies that tend to "graze" while being ridden and pull thier little riders forward overcheck reins/lines can be attached to fronts of saddles to aid in stopping this.

unclearthur 12-11-2013 03:45 PM

It's a tongue grid, so those who suggested such a thing are quite right. You don't see them much nowadays.

Overchecks are different in that they're attached to the bridle in such a way as to be affected by what they used to call 'bearing reins' (just for Black Beauty fans!) - I don't know what harness racers call them nowadays. Anyway, they prevent the horse lowering it's head, whereas a tongue grid stops the horse getting its tongue over the bit and works whatever the horse's head position.

Really interesting post! :D

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome